Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sale of personal home by a Trust

jesdq1
Level 4

Can a loss on the sale of a personal house (home of decedent and in the trust) be passed on to the beneficiaries on the K-1s? The FMV of house, selling price, and expenses of sale generates a loss. Or, because the home was the primary residence of the deceased, does the loss stay with the Trust and not passed through to beneficiaries?  

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

No it does not.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

11 Comments 11
sjrcpa
Level 15

Is this a final trust return?

Ex-AllStar
jesdq1
Level 4

yes

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Then everything passes out to the beneficiaries on the K-1s.

Ex-AllStar
jesdq1
Level 4

Thank You.  So, it is not relevant that the house sold was the primary residence of the decedent? 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Sold after death, right?

Did anyone live in it after grantor's death?

Trust was of a kind that the house got a step up to date of death FMV?

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
jesdq1
Level 4

Sold after death?   Yes

Did anyone live in it after grantors death?  No  

Not sure if I understand the third question. "Trust was of a kind that the house got a step up to date of death FMV? " Are there certain trusts that do not allow a stepped-up cost basis?  It was a revocable trust. Thank You

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Yes there are certain trusts and transfers thereto where there is no step up.

Sounds like you have a plain vanilla Revocable/Living/Grantor Trust where the assets get a step up upon the death of the Grantor.

After death, the assets are deemed to be held for investment, in the absence of other facts saying they are not.

Ex-AllStar
jesdq1
Level 4

It is my understanding that irrevocable trusts do not allow the stepped-up basis, I was not aware that other kinds of trusts do not allow a stepped-up basis.  You are correct I have a revocable trust. The fact that the house was the personal residence of the grantor...does that have any effect on the stepped-up basis? Thank You    

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

No it does not.

Ex-AllStar
jesdq1
Level 4

Thank you for your help 

sjrcpa
Level 15

You're welcome.

Ex-AllStar