Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sale of main home exclusion

bglissontts
Level 2

I have a client that sold his main home and lived there for only 2 years. Does he still get the exclusion since he only lived there for 2 years and not the two out of five?

Thanks

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If he lived there for 2 years then yes he DID live there for 2 out of the past 5 years.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

16 Comments 16
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If he lived there for 2 years then yes he DID live there for 2 out of the past 5 years.

sjrcpa
Level 15

What does under 24 mean? 😄

Ex-AllStar
bglissontts
Level 2

Always a smart ass in the crowd.

sjrcpa
Level 15

We don't get paid, so we have fun.

Years ago there was a thread where we could not get someone to understand that age 24 was not under 24.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

"Always a smart ass in the crowd"

And thankfully there are.  How would folks get their questions answered here if all we had here were dumb asses?

Slava Ukraini!
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

RE: I have a client that sold his main home and lived there for only 2 years. Does he still get the exclusion since he only lived there for 2 years and not the two out of five?

Let me take over the honor of a smart arse. 

Given the question as phrased.... This statement is wrong: "If he lived there for 2 years then yes he DID live there for 2 out of the past 5 years.

For example:

Lived in the house: 2005. 2006 

Sold the house:   2021

The answer to the question, as phrased is:   NO!!

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
IRonMaN
Level 15

Maybe Intuit can roll out some new smart ass badges.  I would wear mine with pride.

Slava Ukraini!
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

But then, @IRonMaN I'm a dumb ass.  Let me tell you a secret.  I was the one who didn't understand why someone who is 24 is not under 24.  I still don't get it.  I just changed my handle and return here and I refrane from getting involved in any question that has to do with age or the number 24...  

I just finished all the PTE tax returns.  All 3/15 returns are on extension.  I'm on bourbon this afternoon.  I purposely misspeeled refrane hoping that bob will come in to correct my speeling.  I like chatting with Bob.  Bob is my hero.  And Bob is smart...

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

RE: Maybe Intuit can roll out some new smart ass badges

Put it to a community vote.  I will vote yes.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I suppose they could also issue dumb ass badges ------------- just so they don't leave anyone out.

Slava Ukraini!
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

RE: What does under 24 mean? 

joshuabarksatlcs_0-1647035884549.png

Next question: Who's on first?

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
yea, the devils in the details...I made an assumption that this was current info pertaining to the last 2 years....so my answer could be totally wrong!

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

I'm sure you knew the correct technical answer, and the Asker meant it the way you interpreted it. 

I was just being a smart aleck per the asker's request.

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

Plus, I have the awesome power of bourbon... 

rcooley25
Level 11

It means you are not over 23.

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

I dont  know if I qualify for a smart ass badge but I diffently qualify for a wide ass badge.