Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S Corporation

jamessite
Level 3

I had a client create an S Corp without asking any questions. They used the SAME name and EIN as their one-person LLC. If I file the S Corp return with the numbers, the client owes a lot of money to NY City The client does not even remember how they created the S Corp. Is the S Corp even valid if the EIN is the same as the LLC EIN? I would love to file the S Corp return showing no income or expenses and file the income and expenses only on the LLC on Schedule C. Any thoughts?

0 Cheers
11 Comments 11
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

Did they file a 2553 under the original SMLLC EIN?

IRonMaN
Level 15

Just curious once again, but what happened when you e-filed the S-corp extension back in March?

Slava Ukraini!
George4Tacks
Level 15

Why would you ever think that they would ask questions? Especially ever ask you before they do things!

https://www.thetaxadviser.com/issues/2013/dec/casestudy-dec2013.html

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Did they file a 2553 under the original SMLLC EIN?"

And if so, get evidence that it was accepted or rejected. You might be worried for no reason.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
jamessite
Level 3

It was accepted

0 Cheers
jamessite
Level 3

I think they just created it on their own and so did not file a 2553

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

If the extension was accepted they filed the election properly.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN 👍excellent observation Ironman.

qbteachmt
Level 15

I guess the next issue is timeliness. Is this the first tax year for the entity's operations? Was there payroll (that FEIN was filing payroll forms and paying payroll taxes) under the S Corp? Or, as the LLC in prior years?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 13

In the past, I've had S corp extensions rejected if the IRS did not have the S election, 2553, on file.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
sjrcpa
Level 15

NYC does not recognize S Corps. So wouldn't they owe the same amount to NYC either way?

NY requires an S election. Did your savvy client also make a NY S election?

Ex-AllStar