Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROUNDING ON TAX RETURNS BUT NOT ON NOTICES

dkh
Level 15

Taxpayer received 2 envelopes today from Indiana DOR to notify them that their overpayment on the 2021 tax return has been reduced by $.18.  Yes that is 18 cents !!!!!!!   The instructions from IDOR are as follows.....

ROUNDING REQUIRED

Each line on which an amount can be entered has “.00” already filled in. This is to let you know that rounding is required when completing your tax return. You must round your amounts to the nearest whole dollar.

Makes no sense.  Do you want the amounts rounded or not.  Why 2 notices - it wasn't one to taxpayer and one to spouse.  One was a detail of the changes to return and the other was indicating there was a liability that reduced the carryover.     What a waste of time and money! 

And the notices were addressed to Taxpayer XXXX and Mrs Spouse XXXX   .... I find that odd.

Edited: changed IDOR to Indiana DOR for clarification

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
IRonMaN
Level 15

I just hope they weren't counting on using that 18 cents to pay your bill 😬

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

Don't keep us in suspense.  Is this Illinois, Iowa, Indiana or Idaho?  Not that any of them are known for brilliant leadership of tax administration.  

dkh
Level 15

Indiana    

Just think how much more money they could have refunded to taxpayers if they wouldn't waste money sending these silly notices.   Indiana issued two budget surplus refunds this year.  First one $125 single filer $250 joint filers.  Second one $200 / $400.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I believe the first refund was actually scheduled to be $125.18 but the rounding department caught the checks before they were mailed out.

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15

LAUGHING.png