Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roth IRA Questions

nolanm
Level 4

Hi all

TP contributed $6k to Roth in 2020, it grew to $7k by end of year. He withdrew the $6k in late 2020 generating 1099-R with code J. I entered the 1099 as well as the contribution in line 19 on Roth contribution sheet, so looks good with no tax in 1040 as the $6k is basis. Questions:

1. Do I need to enter the $1k balance in the Roth at end 2020? If so where?

2. His MA state return is pulling the $6k distribution through as taxable. MA does not have a place to add a contribution or basis. I can just overwrite the $6k that pulls through as "0". The 1099 sheet in MA does show the $6k, so concerned that a conflict that MA questions.

Thanks as usual for any help

Nolan

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

On 1099R worksheet about half way down. Quickzoom to enter Roth ira basis. Can't help with MA, but maybe some will help you that does MA returns

nolanm
Level 4

Thank you Terry, yup enetered the Roth basis. I don't believe that I need to show the closing Roth balance at end 2020, only that the Roth is still open. Please correct me if I am wrong?

Figured MA. There is a line for taxes prev paid on Roth contribtion in the MA return. Entering basis here removes the Roth distribtution from income taxable in MA.

Thanks Nolan 

George4Tacks
Level 15

Just curious - Was the Roth IRA withdrawal because the client was not eligible for a Roth? 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
nolanm
Level 4

Yeah good question. No he was eligible.AGI around $105k. Just had an investment opportunity and withdrew basis.

Regards Nolan 

0 Cheers