Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roth IRA contributions

jpettigrew
Level 2

What would you do if a client just now informs you that they have had a Roth IRA since 2008.  They have filed MFS all those years which made the Roth contributions as an excess contribution.  Would you file amended returns for all the years or pay the 6% penalty?  How far back can you amend returns?  Thank you for your help.

JP

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

There never was a deduction so nothing to amend. 5329s are due for all those years and can be filed on their own. Excess contributions and earnings thereon need to be withdrawn to stop the penalty clock.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
sjrcpa
Level 15

There never was a deduction so nothing to amend. 5329s are due for all those years and can be filed on their own. Excess contributions and earnings thereon need to be withdrawn to stop the penalty clock.

Ex-AllStar
jpettigrew
Level 2

When I referred to an amended return, I was asking if amending it to MFJ would then allow them to avoid the 6% excise tax.  Could I do that?  

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

And it's worth noting that the 5329 amounts do snowball.  So an excess contribution in 2015 is still an excess contribution in 2016 (part IV line 18), add the 2016 amount, then the 2016 total carries to 2017, add the 2017, carry to 2018 and so on.

I haven't done the research but I've heard that 5329s have their own statute of limitations.  So if one was never filed in the earlier years, the clock never starts running.  I've seen some CPE folks recommend that you file a $0 form every year just in case something like this comes up.  I filed that information in my brain under "things I heard that I don't necessarily believe" but I've never had one go more than three years back so I've never had to research it.

Rick

rbynaker
Level 13

@jpettigrew wrote:

When I referred to an amended return, I was asking if amending it to MFJ would then allow them to avoid the 6% excise tax.  Could I do that?  

I think you could probably go back to 2016.  I always have to use my fingers for these things...2016 was due 4/15/17 + 3 years is 18, 19, 20.  So should be open to amend until at least 4/15/20.

sjrcpa
Level 15

Maybe. But not for closed years.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers