Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return accepted, but not showing on IRS Website

I have a return for a client that says it was accepted by the IRS on February 12, 2021. 

But, when I use the "Where's My Refund" tool for this return, it doesn't show that there is record of the IRS receiving the return. 

I'm not sure of what my next steps should be. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

15 Comments 15
sjrcpa
Level 15

Wait.

There is a lag between what is apparently two systems - efiling and the master database.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

WMR is not very useful this year.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Does Where’s My Refund? always display my refund status showing the different stages of return received, refund approved and refund sent?

No, not always. Sometimes, when we are still reviewing your return, instead, it will display instructions or an explanation of what we are doing."

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
aquariustie
Level 1

@kyraphillips1023 same I filed mine jan 21  got accepted on the 12th of February. It is now march 15 and I have no refund and the refund tracker says its still being processed..frustrating.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Many of those early filed returns have issues every year and get hung up in prcessing...so much better to wait a few days after the Efile season opens...first in does not mean first out!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
TMU
Level 1

I am having this same issue. Except my client was e-filed and accepted on March 11, 2021. Were you able get a resolution? 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Are you signed up for IRS e-newsletters?

COVID Tax Tip 2021-39: Here’s how taxpayers can track the status of their refund

And here it is, on the web:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/heres-how-taxpayers-can-track-the-status-of-their-refund

"Here’s how taxpayers can track the status of their refund

Tracking the status of a tax refund is easy with the 
Where's My Refund? tool. It’s conveniently accessible at IRS.gov or through the IRS2Go App.

Taxpayers can start checking their refund status within 24 hours after an e-filed return is received.

Refund timing
Where's My Refund provides a personalized date after the return is processed and a refund is approved. While most tax refunds are issued within 21 days, some may take longer if the return requires additional review.

Here are some reasons a tax refund may take longer:

• The return may include errors or be incomplete.
  • The return could be affected by identity theft or fraud.
  • Many banks do not process payments on weekends or holidays.

Claiming the recovery rebate credit on a 2020 tax return will not delay processing of a tax return. However, it is important that taxpayers claim the correct amount. If a correction is needed, there may be a slight delay in processing the return. If corrections are made, the IRS will send the taxpayer notice explaining any changes. The recovery rebate credit will be included in the tax refund.

The IRS will contact taxpayers by mail if more information is needed to process their tax return.

Fast and easy refund updates
Taxpayers can start checking on the status
of their return within 24 hours after the IRS acknowledges receipt of an electronically filed return or four weeks after the taxpayer mails a paper return. The tool's tracker displays progress in three phases:

1. Return received
  2. Refund approved
  3. Refund sent"
katyyancey
Level 1

Did you ever get an answer on the question of "Where's My Refund" showing zero information after accepted return? I have two clients dealing with this same issue. 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

The IRS pointed out that the status might not be reported correctly. You can call the Professional Preparer's phone number to ask about your clients' returns:

https://www.irs.gov/tax-professionals/practitioner-priority-service-r

0 Cheers
AC81
Level 1

This happened to me in 2020 and now again in  2021.  I have still to this date not been able to get in contact with anyone from Intuit or IRS for either year.  

0 Cheers
geiden
Level 2

This is happening to me also...how is it fixed?

0 Cheers
geiden
Level 2

This return was accepted on March 20, Where's My Refund says it has never been filed.  I have the confirmation #.  What do I do?  How long do we wait?

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

I'm surprised Where's My Refund doesn't show it was received if you have an accepted EF status.

When Should You Call the IRS?

You should call us only if:

• It's been 21 days or more since you e-filed
  • Where's My Refund tells you to contact us
0 Cheers
Glo11688
Level 1

I am in a very similar situation but I submitted on the 21st. Have you had any changes? What have you done so far?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I am in a very similar situation"

Different tax year.

"but I submitted on the 21st."

Of March 2023? So, not quite 10 business days?

"Have you had any changes? What have you done so far?"

Did you read this topic, which is from April 2022, by the way:

When Should You Call the IRS?

You should call us only if:

• It's been 21 days or more since you e-filed
  • Where's My Refund tells you to contact us

It's a hurry-up and Wait, situation.