Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repayment of 1099-R distribution with a distribution code of 7

mlthomas26
Level 3

I have a client who received a 1099-R with a distribution code of 7.  The distribution happened first quarter of 2022. The distribution was taken out to put a down payment on a new home.  When the client sold their existing home, they paid back the distribution in the 3rd quarter of 2022.  How do I report this payback?

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
sjrcpa
Level 15

You don't, except that the repayment may be an excess contribution.

Ex-AllStar
taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9

I believe it is reported on line 5a and 5b on the 1040.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

They needed to put that money back within 60 days for it to be a rollover, if they waited that many months, you can't "repay" it to avoid taxes.    

That income is taxable and now theyve now got an excess contribution that needs to be removed ASAP.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
qbteachmt
Level 15

There still is time to correct this for tax year 2022. Well, about a week; or, put that return on extension and then they have time to make a corrective distribution including any attributable earnings. And you will have to report any withholding as part of the gross distribution (both times). The new 1099-R won't come until after the end of 2023, but both situations are reportable in 2022.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers