Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rental Property owned by LLC reporting

parvitstax
Level 5

I have an LLC that owns my rental property. I know as rental income is passive I report this on Schedule E. Do I have to report my LLC on Federal at all? I can't use Schedule C and I don't see any other way to show Federal my LLC's business is my one rental property. Do I just add the LLC name under the "description" section for Schedule E's property?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
SMLLC is a disregarded entity for federal filing purposes, its reported on SchE the same as any rental property.
Your state, on the other hand, may have different rules. Theres a checkbox on the Sch E worksheet to check if youre an SMLLC in certain states.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
Camp1040
Level 10

You did report your LLC by filing your sch E .you need to find out about your state requirements. 

Sounds like you are looking for the turbo tax help site, not this one.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
SMLLC is a disregarded entity for federal filing purposes, its reported on SchE the same as any rental property.
Your state, on the other hand, may have different rules. Theres a checkbox on the Sch E worksheet to check if youre an SMLLC in certain states.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I know as rental income is passive I report this on Schedule E."

Or, you are in fact "in the business."

"I can't use Schedule C"

Or, you should be using it.

Only you can qualify what your activities mean under the IRS regulations.

Google:

rental property schedule e or c

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
parvitstax
Level 5

Thanks for the information. I will not use first person to discuss a client return moving forward. I thought it was a good perspective but appears to have caused you confusion where my question should be placed. I am a tax preparer so my question does belong here. Thank you. 

0 Cheers
parvitstax
Level 5

Yes Google was used, that is how Schedule E was determined for a passive income. Daily services are not provided on the property otherwise Schedule C would be required. Thanks.