Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rental LLC 199A

Avs19
Level 5

I recently took on a new client with husband/wife LLC partnerships. They own 5 residential rental properties, all under different LLCs. 5 1065's. The prior accountant took the 199A deduction for each on the 1040. The 199A safe harbor rules essentially states that one would need to perform 250 or more hours of rental services to qualify. They do not spend 250 or more hours on any of the properties. Did the prior accountant make a mistake by taking the 199A or am I missing something?

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
qbteachmt
Level 15

"can be aggregated to qualify for the deduction?"

Are you clicking the links that are being provided in the replies, to help you learn what applies directly? The references are important and useful. Even IRS resources can be useful.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
15 Comments 15
George4Tacks
Level 15

Read the requirements more carefully. 250 is JUST a safe harbor. Who does all the work to operate and maintain these rentals?

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
sjrcpa
Level 15

Use of the safe harbor is optional.

Ex-AllStar
Avs19
Level 5

My client does all the work but did not put in 250 hours on any of the properties

sjrcpa
Level 15

So he doesn't meet the harbor. So what.

There are other ways to be a trade or business.

Ex-AllStar
Avs19
Level 5

I guess my thinking was that you had to contribute more than 250 hours to take the 199A on rental properties. I believe they would fall under a trade or business but does that mean they automatically get the deduction?

abctax55
Level 15

Real Estate Professional v §199A are different critters.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Avs19
Level 5

My client meets the real estate professional qualification. What confuses me is the conflicting information I've been reading about the 250 hour rule. Are real estate professionals exempt from that rule?

Thanks for your help!

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Are you sure they are real estate professionals? If they don't have 250 hours I wonder.

Ex-AllStar
Avs19
Level 5

The primary taxpayer manages 8 properties. That's all he does. Pretty sure he can attest for the 750 material participation rules but probably not the 250 per property.

0 Cheers
Avs19
Level 5

I guess the question is whether a real estate professional qualifies for QBI having not met the 250 hours per property?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

The term "safe harbor" is used to describe when something is a lower bar to reach, but that isn't the requirement. That's the point of offering a safe harbor qualification.

"If an enterprise fails to satisfy the requirements of this safe harbor, it may be treated as a trade or business for purposes of section 199A if the enterprise otherwise meets the definition of trade or business in § 1.199A-1(b)(14)."

https://www.journalofaccountancy.com/news/2019/sep/rental-real-estate-safe-harbor-qbi-deduction-2019...

BobKamman
Level 15

Regulations within Section 199A allow the aggregation of multiple trades and businesses. This lets you treat an aggregated group as a single business or trade when considering your Section 199A deduction.

See discussion at

https://numbersquad.com/how-to-handle-multiple-rental-activities-and-the-199a-deductible/ 

qbteachmt
Level 15

"allow the aggregation of multiple trades and businesses."

In other words, if they provided evidence of 250 hours or more, you would not also need to gather all the info to prove they qualify. Safe Harbor = slam dunk qualification. Or, do more work to show it still qualifies.

Avs19
Level 5

This helps. So, even though there are five separate LLC's, that in my opinion constitute a trade or business, can be aggregated to qualify for the deduction? 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"can be aggregated to qualify for the deduction?"

Are you clicking the links that are being provided in the replies, to help you learn what applies directly? The references are important and useful. Even IRS resources can be useful.

0 Cheers