Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rental expenses w/ office

crichardson552
Level 2

ct has several rental properties and uses schedule "E" how can the expenses for office be taken off

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I use a dummy Sch C and the 8829 to complete the OIH deduction, then print the 8829,. delete Sch C and enter it the OIH deduction as Other Expenses on Sch E.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
dkh
Level 15

There was a previous post regarding this...good luck finding it..   I believe the suggestion was to use Sched C F8829 worksheet to get your calculation then do Other Expense line entry with the amount

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I use a dummy Sch C and the 8829 to complete the OIH deduction, then print the 8829,. delete Sch C and enter it the OIH deduction as Other Expenses on Sch E.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
BobKamman
Level 15

Does the client also qualify as a real estate professional?  Are they claiming the Section 199A deduction?  Does the Schedule E show a loss even before this deduction?  Whether a rental real estate enterprise is a trade or business is the subject of uncertainty for some taxpayers.  And some tax preparers.   I would proceed with caution.  

0 Cheers