Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rent to own buildings for business use

SWD2012
Level 3

Hello, 

I am a new tax business owner, and purchased a Rent to own back in June to get prepared for tax season. I finished the inside so it looks like an office.  Should I use the total purchase price or my monthly rent payment for tax purposes, And can I use all of my expenses for that purpose?

Thank you 

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

You will need to review the detail's of your contract and determine whether it would meet the IRS standard for a Purchase, or whether it should be treated as a lease.

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
IRonMaN
Level 15

If you are planning on owning it when the dust all settles, then you would want to record the purchase price and depreciate it.

Slava Ukraini!
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

You will need to review the detail's of your contract and determine whether it would meet the IRS standard for a Purchase, or whether it should be treated as a lease.

qbteachmt
Level 15

"And can I use all of my expenses for that purpose?"

No. You need to break out the assets into their various types, then follow what the IRS requires.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
BammBamm
Level 1

Absolutely! Also, remember you can spread out the payments over the life of the property. Amortize the property and remember to allocate only the deductions you need for the year. There is a cap on certain deductions per year.  HY, 200DB, and 20 years are probably what you want to use. Check your total cost and see what accounting options are best for your situation.  Congrats on the new office.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

"remember to allocate only the deductions you need for the year"

????????????

"HY, 200DB, and 20 years are probably what you want to use"

????????????

Slava Ukraini!
johnea
Level 3

just the monthly payments as you probably have an instalment sale 

IRonMaN
Level 15