Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rejected by IRS because Spouse deceased in 2022, filing MFJ.

Greta
Level 9

Reason given for reject: "The Spouse SSN in the return has been locked because Social Security Administration records indicate the number belongs to a deceased individual." I included the 2022 date of death for the spouse. I have never had a problem filing a joint return for the year of spousal death. Did I press some box incorrectly somewhere?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Nothing you did wrong, somehow the SSN has already been locked.....once the SSN has been locked your only option is to paper file.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Nothing you did wrong, somehow the SSN has already been locked.....once the SSN has been locked your only option is to paper file.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

I do not believe that you have done anything wrong.

Depending how early in 2022 the person died and Social Security was notified might have The IRS confused(if they were not confused already) 

I think you might have to contact social security.

Another solution would be to paper file the return which most people would rather not do.

If you cannot get this straighten out by 4/18 you might want to consider an extension.

In the mean time check out what some of my fellow preparers have to  say because they might have a better solution.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

IRS has a notice for that, when it receives a paper return.  **bleep** between Social Security reporting and IRS processing.  The IRS instructions are good advice if the person is still alive, but I wouldn't expect too much interaction between the two agencies when it's only a matter of figuring out the right year.  You can put lots of time and effort into it, or you can file a paper return with a copy of the death certificate attached.

"We issue a CP01H notice when the IRS receives a tax return that contains a Social Security number (SSN) for an account that we locked because our records indicate the TIN belongs to an individual who died prior to the tax year of the return submitted.

The IRS locked your account because the Social Security Administration informed us that the Social Security number (SSN) of the primary or secondary taxpayer on the return belongs to someone who died prior to the tax year of the return submitted for processing."

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-cp01h-notice  

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

@BobKamman Language Bob. 

What innocuous word was bleeped?

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

@sjrcpa That was last night, how am I supposed to remember this morning?  But bleep is probably a better word.  Had I known it would be edited, I would have used s n a f u but not abbreviated.  

sjrcpa
Level 15

I was just picking on you a little.

All kinds of benign words have been getting bleeped lately. Amd with them, i have a hard time figuring out the real word.

With cuss words it's easy.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
AJ12
Level 2

My situation is a little different  ... hopefully someone out there can help.  My client passed away in 2022 and I'm trying to file for an extension of time to file.  I'm located in CA.  The state of CA doesn't accept extensions unless there is tax owed and it's paid electronically.  Well there is no tax due for either the Fed or State returns. But I'm filing because I want my clients final return to be totally accurate and complete but need a little more information from the executor. It appears the Federal Form 4868 has to be Paper Filed when there's a deceased individual.  Can anyone out there verify that's TRUE?

Thanks!!!

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

CA's extension is automatic.

They don't want one unless there's money going with it.

Plus, unless you (or your client) are in Lassen, Modoc or Shasta county - EVERYTHING including payment is automatically extended until 10.16.2023 anyway due to the (one) of the various Disaster Declarations.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"