Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund delays on returns requesting additional stimulus?

Colmatt
Level 5

I have several delayed refunds on returns that were due additional stimulus funds.  Anyone else experiencing this?  3 months on a couple.  

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

13 Comments 13
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

yes, IRS has millions of returns with this situation waiting their turn for manual processing.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Colmatt
Level 5

This will never end.....I'm tired of looking like the bad guy.  thanks..

dkh
Level 15

Oh yeah.... I have some very frustrated clients.  I have a bakers dozen that have called me. Two were      e-filed in February. 

One client received a CP05 letter.  Funny thing, it only made him more p!$$ed off.  He called to complain - says if they had time to send him a letter they had time to review his return.  ----smh----

PATAX
Level 15

@dkh @Colmatt @Just-Lisa-Now- efiled a client return on approximately March 23, it was accepted. Return is in limbo and client has still not received their refund. There were no credits on the return. The only thing new this year was the unemployment exclusion...Talked to another accountant and he had approximately 6 or so that were e-filed around the same time with unemployment exclusion and the returns are also in limbo....

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I have a few that are jammed up with UI on them too....Im done trying to make sense of any of it.

Colmatt
Level 5

I keep saying I'm done with it, and then two peaceful days later someone calls blaming me for their lack of a refund....

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I just tell them, "you and millions of other people! Nothing either of us can do to make anything go any faster, sorry."

PATAX
Level 15

@Colmatt just kindly remind them that we are not responsible for remitting their refund to them... We prepare the return based on the data that they give us... We are not a revenue collection agency... They have to be patient, IMHO the IRS is honest so they will receive their refund in due time..... the IRS is swamped with all of these matters this year so we have to cut them a little bit of slack... Just my opinion

BobKamman
Level 15

@PATAX @Just-Lisa-Now- 

The returns with unemployment -- did they claim the exclusion, or were they filed before the program update?

And I have to admit I forgot that the program was automatically updating the exclusion after the return was final, so I have been checking the status of one refund with the wrong amount.  Fortunately the client had the right amount, and is supposed to get the bank deposit tomorrow.  It is $20 and some change less than expected, which I believe is a combination of two adjustments:  Interest paid to them on the 2020 refund, and interest charged on the 2019 balance due.  The 2019 return was filed in October with a payment that included some interest but no FTP penalty.  No notice has been issued, but this may be one of the 2019 returns that IRS just finished processing.  

Come to think of it, that might be one of the questions to ask others about 2020 delayed refunds.  Did they owe for 2019, and have they received any notices asking for interest or FTP penalty?

And for others here, make sure you point out to clients that it's great to be earning 3% interest on a short-term government obligation.  If that doesn't enrage them, it might make them feel better.  

PATAX
Level 15

@BobKamman it was prepared and filed after the exclusion... What is interesting is that a colleague who prepares many more returns than I do, said that only returns that were efiled at that approximate time with the unemployment exclusion are in linbo , but ones that were filed later in April there was no problem... So there may have been a short period of time when there may have been a glitch in the IRS software/processing... Not sure

0 Cheers
TaxLadies11
Level 2

We also have several people waiting on their refunds because of the ACA penalty waiver.

Colmatt
Level 5

I have a few of those too, but they are far less demanding then the unemployment folks.  Thanks.  

bheizer
Level 4

None of mine that haven't received their refund involved the unemployment income.

Had 3 farmers and  2 of those had child tax credits and one other with a schedule C......one that didn't receive their $1200 stimulus....