Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovery Rebate changing when E-filing

brian2
Level 2

The client did not receive the full Recovery Rebate in 2020 so the amount is showing up on the 2020 tax return as it should.  I then e-file the return and it is accepted.  I begin to print the copy and as soon as I open the return I have the diagnostic that items have changed on the return do you want to view the changes.  I say yes and it shows me the only change is that the Recovery Rebate amount on the 2020 tax return is now zero.  I can still print the return with the Recovery Rebate numbers that we had when it was submitted for E-filing but will the client be receiving the Recovery Rebate amount?  Why are these amounts changing when I e-file the return, it has happened on more then one return and it started early this week.  Has anyone experienced this problem?

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

8 Comments 8

I really have no reason to open a return after it has been filed but I just opened one I sent today with the recovery rebate and it happened here as well.  I don't have time to sit on the phone to talk to someone with customer service who will have to pawn you off on someone else who will type back to the first rep that there is no issue.  I hate to say this but you may have to wait until the return shows up on "Where's My Refund" to see what the client will actually be getting.  In my case, the entire overpayment was applied to 2021 so I can't check.

I did open several I sent last week and prior and the message is not showing up on those returns.

0 Cheers
brian2
Level 2

It is not good when it changes an amount owed to a refund.  Will ProSeries cover the penalties and interest, at least we have until May 17th to follow up.

0 Cheers
Jill_Duncan
Level 2

I have the same thing occurring.  I too would like to know why this is happening.  Some of them have received their refunds.

0 Cheers
abby
Level 3

Happening here too. Please provide guidance Proseries.

0 Cheers
ceciengcpasf
Level 3

Happened to us two times yesterday. 

It is possible that the 2 clients may have received the money and just forgot to tell us.  Maybe they got a card and threw it out by mistake.  We called them to make sure.  I wonder how the IRS system works to make sure taxpayers don't double dip into the stimulus system?   Do they check the recovery rebate amounts the moment we efile ?  It seems so as you get a message no too long after efile that the refund is less by the recovery amount. Is this the first line of defense against fraud ?

What's your experience with clients who throw away the stimulus debit card by mistake ? We've had a client who called IRS 2 times.  First answer was just claim it on the return.  Second time around, answer was call IRS and see what bank processed the card and call bank to make a trace.  Does anybody know what banks were used to process the stimulus cards ?

Proseries also developed shutdown problems yesterday which makes us more cautious.  Hope everything is sorted out.

0 Cheers

Go to "Where's My Refund" and see what IRS is refunding.  I found a client who this has happened to and the "Wheres My Refund" shows the amount I originally submitted, not the amount which the program claims has changed.  Looks like ANOTHER ProSeries mistake!!!  Given ProSeries track record this year, don't expect it to be fixed anytime soon, or ever.

sawyercpa
Level 1

I had to go back and look at several of my clients today (because of another issue) and found 2 had their rebate adjustments eliminated after e-filing.  I had asked each of those clients exactly how much they received in economic stimulus payments.  One had a baby in 2020 & I highly doubt the IRS already sent the extra stimulus money.   The other annoying issue: a client called to say their 2021 estimated vouchers were too low.  I looked at the ES worksheet in Proseries: "base 2021 estimates on 100% of 2020" was checked, but the program had backed out the optional SE tax deferral (which the client chose not to defer), and calculated the estimates only on tax that would be owed now if they deferred some 2020 self-employment tax to 12/21 and 12/22.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

The problem you all are talking about is a glitch that rode in on last weeks update.  ProSeries is aware.  There have been many other posts regarding this.   Hopefully will be fixed soon if not already with this most recent update.

0 Cheers