Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Realtor purchased trailer for temporary housing for clients

Greta
Level 9

Successful realtor bought a trailer for $20K as temporary housing for homebuyers to facilitate sales. Is this a legitimate deduction, and if so, what length of depreciation? I've known him for decades, and he works nonstop, he has no family, I will ask if this is the only use for the trailer.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

It seems legitimate to me.

It depends on what you mean by "trailer".  I suspect you mean a manufactured home that is permanently attached to the ground, which would mean it would be depreciated over 39 years.  If it is something mobile (such as on wheels), then it probably would be 7 years.

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

It seems legitimate to me.

It depends on what you mean by "trailer".  I suspect you mean a manufactured home that is permanently attached to the ground, which would mean it would be depreciated over 39 years.  If it is something mobile (such as on wheels), then it probably would be 7 years.

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

If the trailer is 1245 property (as Bill said not attached to land) class life is 5 years

Greta
Level 9

Very helpful! Thank you all.

0 Cheers