Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHAT LETTER DO I USE ON THE SCHEDULE D FOR THE SALE OF GROUND

470pitt
Level 3

What letter do I put for the sale of ground on the shedule d

0 Cheers
11 Comments 11
BobKamman
Level 15

Is "ground" what they call "farmland" in your neck of the woods?  Maybe this should go on Form 4797?

Camp1040
Level 10

Maybe it is unimproved vacant land. Come on Bob, I thought you excelled at mind reading!

IRonMaN
Level 15

Schedule C here ------------------ I interpret sale of ground as the sale of dirt 😁

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

Just because I know the Eagles are going to win by 11, doesn't mean there are grounds for me to know what is meant here.  

BobKamman
Level 15

So, what depletion percentage would you use for that?

Or maybe you are referring to the recent sale of the National Enquirer. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

I thought you said 11 - or were you talking football instead of taxes? 😜

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
470pitt
Level 3

no it is not farmland it is land they had and sold to people who are going to build a house

0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10

I would say long term capital gain, unless they are in the business of selling land and they have lots that are inventory then ordinary gain. It does sound like private land, I quess the letter is L for long term with basis not supplied to the IRS, not sure about the 1099-S or B question.

0 Cheers
470pitt
Level 3

Yes this was a 1099-s but the choices on the schedule d are only a thru f 

0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10

The letters you are referring to are exceptions, just enter the sale in the worsheet and say yes for 1099-B even though it is a 1099-S.

0 Cheers
470pitt
Level 3

Thank you so much for this answer

0 Cheers