Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is this "Hey" nonsense?

PATAX
Level 15

I have noticed every once in awhile someone will lead off with this "hey" at the beginning of an email or a text message. Since when did people start using this? I don't think it's proper. Do I look like a horse to you? Maybe I'm a little bit stuffy? smh.😉🐕

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I don't like emails that start with "I hope this email finds you well"  Who talks that way?  Just please get to the point with your email.  And I find scammers often start their email this way

View solution in original post

37 Comments 37
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I don't like emails that start with "I hope this email finds you well"  Who talks that way?  Just please get to the point with your email.  And I find scammers often start their email this way

PATAX
Level 15

@Jim-from-Ohio yeah they are almost saying that they expect us to be sick or something. Clowns.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Hey, that’s the way the world is going.  Texting has changed the way we communicate - and not necessarily for the better.  I find myself cheating on proper sentences these days whether it is texting, e-mailing or posting here.  But at least I can still write something out with a pen or pencil——— I think  that ability is also slowly being lost with technology.

Slava Ukraini!
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

It might be a little stuffy...........I use Hey quite a bit. For me its just a different way to greet instead the old boring HI or Hello.

Hey for me is just a more familiar greeting than Hi or Hello. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

That still qualifies as a proper greeting at Kramer’s bank😜

Slava Ukraini!
Camp1040
Level 10

Yeah! and young people can't read or write cursive!

PATAX
Level 15

@Jim-from-Ohio Jim I'm starting to get more and more like you, and I am starting to limit a little my conversations with people. A few messed up units out there.

taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9

Hey @Jim-from-Ohio I just got one of those late last night from a father-in-law of one of my clients.  He wants to be a client also.  I ignored an earlier request because he is a ways away and I am not excited about email tax preparing.  He started out with "I hope this email finds you well" even though we have never met or spoke before. I chickened out because he was telling about his medical expenses and told him to send stuff in.

PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN I think I'm going to start off my email, text messages, etc from now on with "Good Day".

BobKamman
Level 15

@Jim-from-Ohio So, "I hope this finds you well" started out during Covid, which is still around although much of the world is in denial.  It was a real expression of fear that someone was not well and perhaps on a respirator and not expected to respond.  So, it doesn't offend me.  What offends me is when someone says "bless you" when I sneeze, following a custom that dates back to the Plague Years.

So @PATAX I haven't noticed people starting sentences with meaningless syllables. Not something I ever do, though.  

Camp1040
Level 10

@PATAX  Tommorrow all your e-mails should start with Happy St. Patrick"s Day!

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

@PATAX people usually say to me when I greet them in the lobby for their tax appt.. something like.. How are you?  I almost never answer the question directly.. I say something like: Welcome, or Nice to see you, or Welcome back.  

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

@PATAX isn't that how Paul Harvely would end his messages.. Paul Harvey, Good Day. 

BobKamman
Level 15

@Jim-from-Ohio And then there is "“Good evening, Mr. and Mrs. America from border to border and coast to coast and all the ships at sea."  Much better way to start than "I hope this finds you well."  Although few people can name who said it, originally.  Stephen Colbert uses a version of it these days.  

Speaking of things people can't remember.  The other day a Politico newsletter referred to Herbert Humphrey.  I emailed the editors about the mistake, noting that they probably hadn't been born when I was watching the events of the 1968 convention from the streets of Chicago.  They made the correction.  

Camp1040
Level 10

We show our age if we know it's Hubert!

IRonMaN
Level 15

1968 - the good old days when they just rioted in the streets instead of in the Capitol Building.  I miss those days 😀

Slava Ukraini!
taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9

I used to think Hubert vs Richard was the worse possible choice anyone could have to make.  But then Donald vs Hillary came along and I am not now sure which race was the worse to choose from.  Not sure either choice was a good one in either election.

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

and we have these two: 

1. West of the Rockies.. and

2. First time caller line

BobKamman
Level 15

@Camp1040 His name was Hubert but everyone called him "Happy Warrior."  Because, that's what everyone from Minnesota is called.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

"Because, that's what everyone from Minnesota is called"

Not necessarily during tax season.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

Yes, that's when the Happy Warriors sometimes have to call the Happy Lawyers.  

The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

Hey @PATAX  Are you in need of some horse hay?  I can hook you up with a great hay supplier.

Are you feeling okay @Jim-from-Ohio ?  I hope this post finds you well.

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

@The_AntiTax_Man and everyone.. doing well,  working real hard and my largest single stock holding, Intuit is over $ 630.00 a share today, . nearing on all time record hopefully. 

PATAX
Level 15

@The_AntiTax_Man there is no shortage of hay here in Possum Valley.

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

If I can add, while i wait for my next appt... 1095-As this year have all been perfect from healthcare.gov.  every single one has the columns filled out, unlike last year

PATAX
Level 15

@Jim-from-Ohio yeah you're right. they did good job on that this year.

IRonMaN
Level 15

"If I can add, while i wait for my next appt"

You are slipping up Jim.  I'm thinking you would have been able to do at least one return in the time it took you to type that post 😜

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

917 so far. not sure i can top my 1,500 last year. not due to lack of work... simply due to hours in a day and losing an hour on the day we sprung forward an hour. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

How did you lose an hour?  The time didn't change until 2:00 a.m.   To the best of my knowledge, only @Frustrated-in-IL is working at that time.  Everybody else maybe lost an hour of sleep but not any working hours.

Slava Ukraini!

That is the best time to drink Fireball...I mean work.  Phone isn't ringing, no one is knocking on door, emailing or texting.  Though I have to admit, I left at 3:15 am this morning.  I was exhausted.

The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

@Jim-from-Ohio  Intuit stock closed over $651.29 today [up 57% from a year ago].  The insiders have reported to SEC that they are selling stock. This is bearish.  It may be time to take your original investment back out and reinvest elsewhere.  You can let the house money ride if you so choose.  

The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

Hey! I've been notified that I got ranked up from Level 7 to Level 8.  I have no idea why.  And I have 28 badges now.  I hope that this finds you all doing well!

PATAX
Level 15

@The_AntiTax_Man congratulations! that is the most important level according to Intuit, as it is the midpoint on the level chart. They are going to be sending you a nice gift.

I hope the nice gift isn't being sent by mail!😄

PATAX
Level 15

Yeah the fun ghouls might mess that up?

IRonMaN
Level 15

The level 8 gift is nice, but the level 9 gift is absolutely priceless.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

And when you reach Level 9 ¾ , you win a free trip to Hogwarts.