Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wage update

TeresaP
Level 2

How are we supposed to finish our farm returns which are due 3/1 when there is a Schedule F error that says "updating employee credits for small businesses and farms".  We did not use the ERTC and I am certain there will be no changes to the return.  I guess I will have to go ahead and file are we cannot risk the UPE tax penalty.  These are farmers that owe $1000's of dollars.

22 Comments 22
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

two choices from what I understand

1. turn off error checking when efiling

2. if not a high income return subject to QBI income limits, put wages as an other expense

dkh
Level 15

I overrode the total line for Line 22 Labor hired (less employment credits)   This way the only error I'm getting is for an entry Override. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

I think Intuit must be anti-farming.  It seems like every year there is something going on that push folks to the 12th hour that prepare farm returns

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

Farmers are odd ducks.  What do they know on March 1 that they didn't already know on January 15, when they could have made their one required ES payment and forgotten about filing until April?  This artificial deadline is a throwback to the days when most W-2s came out by January 15 and broker 1099's were issued by January 31.  

taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9

I have heard that the IRS has bought a computer now.  They have the capacity to match up wages paid with the 941's or 943 filed.  So mismatches is what risks audit for no reason other than moving things to an incorrect line. 

And I am not sure if disabling error checking is great in this case.  But I guess I will have to make a decision pretty soon.

TeresaP
Level 2

SINCE PRO SERIES HAS THIS LINE MARKED AS ERROR, YOU CANNOT ACTUALLY OVERRIDE IT.

TeresaP
Level 2

Most farmers do not have all their info together by 1/15 so things can change dramatically.  Disregarding the fact that the program is not final by that time to even make an accurate estimate.  March 1 is sometimes challenging to get them done...especially when Proseries locks the forms up and we can't finish it.

BobKamman
Level 15

Most people don't have all their info together by 1/15, but they manage to come up with a reasonable estimate or base their payment on the previous year.  This whole mollycoddling of farmers goes back to the early days of estimated tax payments, when agricultural interests had more political power and farmers were considered, if not dumb, at least financially illiterate.  Times have changed.  

The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

@TeresaP   Intuit remains silent on a work around.  Are you just going to ignore this one @IntuitGabi 

The participants on this "ProSeries Tax Discussions" board have offered several suggestions.  One suggestion is as follows: 

On Schedule F, line 22 skip entering the wages in the problem field labeled "Enter gross wages before work credits" then override the line 22 field labeled "Labor hired (less employment credits)" and enter the wages into this overridden field.  Will this work to efile a timely 3/1/24 farm return @IntuitGabi?

dkh
Level 15

@TeresaP 

Schedule F Line 22  has 3 lines to enter information and a 4th line that is a calculated total line.  I overrode the calculated total line.

david29
Level 1

Didnt work for me, failed final review.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

@david29 

When I efiled, I unchecked the box for Enable conversion error checking.   That got me past the Final review error rejection

My return was accepted by IRS.

david29
Level 1

Thank you, that worked!

awelder
Level 1

The turning off error checking at e-filing works.  I'm thankful for this board or I'd be sweating bullets right about now.  I would be interested in knowing if there is a way to hold Intuit's feet to the fire for this pretty sorry and disconcerting deficiency.

Dham
Level 2

IT and software people don’t understand the deadlines we have and don’t care. 

0 Cheers
Dham
Level 2

IT and software people don’t understand the deadlines we have and don’t care. Leave it to the accountants for a workaround 

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

@Dham wrote:

IT and software people don’t understand the deadlines we have and don’t care. 

And clients don't understand when you tell them you can't efile yet because the tax form/tax program isn't ready yet........  

IRonMaN
Level 15

IT people understand deadlines.  They just figure that as long as their work is done by the due date, they are good.  In my next life I want to be a programmer.

Slava Ukraini!
wjgutcpa
Level 4

I removed the wages from line 22 and added the expense to other deductions. But the override fixes would work too.

0 Cheers
The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

@TeresaP  This has been fixed now.

0 Cheers
Dham
Level 2

Error and update magically disappeared as if there never was one. 

TeresaP
Level 2

Thank you to everyone that had made comments and suggestions!