Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

W2 Box 12

TaxTime92610
Level 2

W2 entry for Box 12, Code S is red indicating an upcoming reporting change for SIMPLE VS. SEP plans.  Anyone know when this will be completed?  I see nothing on the timeline about

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
DDSmith
Level 2

It is fixed! An update just came out. I was checking every hour. phew

View solution in original post

16 Comments 16
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Yeah, what the hell is that about? I just re-created same. 

itonewbie
Level 15

I think that has to do with Notice 2024-2, II.K. Section 601 of the SECURE 2.0 Act.  Maybe Intuit is waiting for the guidance to make its way into the filing instructions?  Otherwise, the guidance seems pretty clear how the reporting is to be done under the different scenarios, conceptually speaking.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

FWIW, no diagnostic in ProConnect for this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
jh77
Level 2

Was wondering the same thing.  I see the update on 2024 W2 by the IRS, but it does not mention 2023 W-2's, so just wondering when Intuit will remove the error message so I can efile this return?  I checked my updates and am all up to date.  I hope they update very soon.  My client is out of work, and needs the refund money.  

Is there a way to override this and e-file it?

0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

disable error checking via efile for this issue.

DDSmith
Level 2

How do you disable error checking?

0 Cheers
LEVA4657
Level 2

The issue is irrelevant to 2023 as the supporting information is listed on the IRS website as:

"Section 117(h) of the SECURE 2.0 Act provides that the amendments made by section 117 of the SECURE 2.0 Act apply for taxable years beginning after December 31, 2023."

The error checking within the 2023 version of the software should be eliminated until filing the 2024  tax return(s).

0 Cheers
LEVA4657
Level 2

The issue is irrelevant to 2023 as the supporting information is listed on the IRS website as:

"Section 117(h) of the SECURE 2.0 Act provides that the amendments made by section 117 of the SECURE 2.0 Act apply for taxable years beginning after December 31, 2023."

The error checking within the 2023 version of the software should be eliminated until filing the 2024 tax return(s).

0 Cheers
DDSmith
Level 2

I just got off the phone with ProSeries. They said there is nothing they can do til the IRS gives them an answer. I tried to explain that the change is for tax year 2024. She said it's for 2023. I have several returns that need to be e-filed and clients are getting restless.

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I had one. put down Code D for 401K. I know it is not the same thing but I am well aware of impacts on tax returns, if any.. went through fine. was accepted by the IRS. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

If there is no effect on the return, I would cheat and go the same route as @Jim-from-Ohio  .  Everybody wants to have all of the t's dotted and i's crossed (or something like that), but when the dust all settles sometimes there is no harm in lying to the software.

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

like putting down $ 1 for interest income in order to efile a return.  return gets done and efiled

DDSmith
Level 2

Thank you!

It's better than losing clients. The refund amount does not change. (fingers crossed... here I go!)

DDSmith
Level 2

It is fixed! An update just came out. I was checking every hour. phew

jh77
Level 2

Thank you all....and glad it is fixed!  Well, didn't update yet, but fingers crossed.  lol