Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

W-4 form is a joke

PATAX
Level 15

Has anyone ever seen a W-4 form that is properly filled out? If so, then order a custom-made picture frame and hang it up on the wall.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

Who cares. Just use this new short form to file the return. 

new-tax-form.png

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
rbynaker
Level 13

I tried once, there was too much swearing involved.

Rick's updated W-4 instructions:

Check "Single" in box 1(c) and the 2(c) box.  Send me an updated paystub next month, if I don't like the numbers we'll add something to 4(c) then.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I tried these instructions a couple of times but I got sacked on both attempts.W-4 instructions.jpg

Slava Ukraini!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@rbynaker wrote:

Rick's updated W-4 instructions:

Check "Single" in box 1(c) and the 2(c) box.  Send me an updated paystub next month, if I don't like the numbers we'll add something to 4(c) then.

That's pretty much my response too.  But the client often doesn't send me their paystub, so I look at the numbers when I file their next tax return.

I don't know how other states do it, but Minnesota still uses the 'old' W-4 method.  So it gets even more annoying if clients need to fill out two W-4s (although I suspect many employers/payroll companies just guess for the state, such as using the Federal filing status and then zero "allowances").

poolcleaner
Level 9

Looks as is there were only ten players on the field.

rbynaker
Level 13

@poolcleaner wrote:

Looks as is there were only ten players on the field.

I noticed that too but wasn't going to say anything.  Just figured maybe they only play 10 in Minnesota (and that might explain the number of times the Vikings have won the Super Bowl . . . )

IRonMaN
Level 15

It’s playing “Minnesota nice” ——— just trying to help the other team a little.

Slava Ukraini!
George4Tacks
Level 15

Who cares. Just use this new short form to file the return. 

new-tax-form.png

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns