Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated Odds on Delay?

dascpa
Level 11

Originally 50/50, then 99% yes (expected to hear this Tuesday). Now not sure. Maryland already delayed to 07/15.  40+ other states haven't decided how to handle the unemployment.  Your opinion?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

26 Comments 26
PATAX
Level 15

I would say it is a 50-50 chance that there will be an extended tax season... They should do this but who knows what will happen... just my opinion

jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

I am guessing announcement Tuesday - After all the 3-15 filing's so as not to confuse anyone.

Someone should start a pool.

Winner get's an hour off!

BobKamman
Level 15

I'm still at 90-10 and waiting to see what happens after the corporate money is collected Monday.  The states should go along for the ride, with all the money they got from ARP.  And, they need to figure out whether to conform to unemployment exclusion, and if not, how to revise their instructions for returns not already filed.  

clr600
Level 8

Texas and Louisiana has an extension until 6/15 due to the ice storm

dascpa
Level 11

Doesn't count as you didn't give your % opinion....

clr600
Level 8

100 % the IRS will extend til 7/15 like last year

sjrcpa
Level 15

Oklahoma

Ex-AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

80% chance they extend, announce on March 16.

Ex-AllStar
dkh
Level 15

I 100% need it to happen because I'm over 50% behind but only 60% confident it will 

IRonMaN
Level 15

0% - Not that they don't want to extend but they are too busy dealing with the unemployment fiasco and processing more stimulus checks that they will forget there is an April 15th due date.

Slava Ukraini!
dascpa
Level 11

😞    I'm so far behind I'll remind them by phone call, email, and text.

pamdory
Level 8

I'm 100% hopeful it will be announced on Tuesday the 16th.  

If not there's a 50% chance I'll start making snarky comments to clients who are "just curious" about when their return will be ready, 100% chance if they tell me how long I've had their information.

IRonMaN
Level 15

The one thing have appreciated about this place over the years is, sometimes you wonder if you are the only one with "special" clients.  Then you read some of the posts here and you realize we all have those "special" individuals -------- same clients, just different names.

IRonMaN_0-1615745379663.png

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15
  • You hit the nail on the head Iron Man. The proportion of our clients called problematic  increases every year as the older clients, who had common sense ,common courtesy, etc. gradually diminish. God help us when these morons become the majority...
pamdory
Level 8

My mantra:  I am not Google.

BobKamman
Level 15

Au contraire, my problem clients are the seniors who feel compelled to forward me the emails they circulate among themselves with odd misinformation and false rumors combined with personal attacks on public figures they dislike.  I wish I had more younger ones, although I don't miss preparing tax returns with toddlers exploring my office.  

PATAX
Level 15

You got a good point there Bob ....Some of my older clients are also pains in the you know what... But I think we have to cut them a little bit more Slack since they may have been through a lot during their lifetime and they may not be feeling well or on medication, who knows ..Just my opinion

0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

Feeling very nervous - my odds of a delay are going down. Your opinion?

dkh
Level 15

I, too, am not so confident it will happen.  Going to switch from preparing "first in first out" to giving priority to "balance due over refunds".

pamdory
Level 8

Well last year the declaration came on March 17th.

Keep sending positive thoughts, IRS can smell fear.

IRonMaN
Level 15

The IRS admits they are way behind schedule and they are getting pressure from politicians and preparer groups to extend the deadline.  But the IRS will never let you see them sweat, so who knows, maybe they will say screw you and keep the April 15th date.  If they do keep the date, I know I am too far behind to ever make it to the finish line on April 15th.  I've got a boatload of business returns on hold waiting to see whether MN also says screw you to folks with PPP loan forgiveness.  And like a lot of folks I have quite a few unemployment returns that were done once and now being done a second time.  As a side note, it seems like only myself and my retired clients were the only folks that didn't dip in for some of those sweet unemployment dollars.  Actually, I shouldn't say retired clients.  We had two clients that had retired at this time last year that showed up with unemployment benefits this year ------- go figure.  It's been a long year, but I have to go now.  I have to be at Walmart in 15 minutes for my greeter job interview.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

@IRonMaN 

Stop complaining and be glad you didn't go to medical school.  You would have patients calling to complain about their cancer, and asking why it can't be cured by next week.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

How do you know I didn't go to medical school?  My first job was a doctor, but people kept calling me to complain to me why I couldn't cure their cancer by next week. 

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

I think there is a 70% chance that it will be extended this week.

BobKamman
Level 15

@IRonMaN " My first job was a doctor, but people kept calling me to complain to me why I couldn't cure their cancer by next week."

Did you explain to them you were waiting for a software update?

BobKamman
Level 15

From The Hill:

A group of more than 100 House members on Tuesday urged the IRS to extend the tax filing and payment deadlines — the latest effort from lawmakers to press the IRS to postpone the April 15 due date.

"We respectfully urge you to extend the federal tax filing and payment deadline as Americans, and the IRS, continue to grapple with the disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic," the lawmakers wrote in a letter sent Tuesday to IRS Commissioner Charles Rettig and acting Treasury assistant secretary for tax policy Mark Mazur.

Reps. Jamie Raskin (D-Md.) and Bill Pascrell (D-N.J.) took the lead on the letter, which was primarily signed by Democrats. Pascrell serves as chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee's oversight subcommittee, which is scheduled to hold a hearing with Rettig on Thursday.

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/543459-calls-grow-from-lawmakers-for-irs-to-extend-filing-deadlin...