Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedule C leases equipment then leases to contractors

ritastone001
Level 5

Opinions please.  Trucking company leases trailers then leases them to the contractors working with them. It is being done to insure availability of equipment for the trucks. Question: should the income from leasing the trailers to contractors be included in the Schedule C or done on a Schedule E?  My first thoughts are that it is a part of doing business and goes on Schedule C. They are not in the business of leasing. It is to assure availability to keep the contract they have with a shipper.  Opinions appreciated.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Renting real estate goes on schedule E.  Renting equipment goes on schedule C.  But before you get started you might want to verify if any of those leases are capital leases instead of operating leases.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
IRonMaN
Level 15

Renting real estate goes on schedule E.  Renting equipment goes on schedule C.  But before you get started you might want to verify if any of those leases are capital leases instead of operating leases.

Slava Ukraini!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

But before you get started you might want to verify if any of those leases are capital leases instead of operating leases.

LEASE

Is that a "capital" lease?

TaxGuyBill_0-1679434875193.png

0 Cheers
ritastone001
Level 5

Well of course it does! Brain drain there.  My understanding is that the company shows no ownership of the trailers. And a lease may last a month up to 6 months. So don't believe it is a capital lease. But I will question further before finalizing the return.