Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rental Income

JONI9611
Level 3

Do I treat lease to own income as Rental income in the year it is received. Take expenses yearly like a rental property.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Best Answers

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Lease to own sounds more like someone bought an asset and is having it financed by the former owner.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

abctax55
Level 15

And I'm thinking "rent to own" is more a service & goes on Sch C. 

Plus I vaguely remember that the accounting for "rent to own" business is a wee bit complicated.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
IRonMaN
Level 15

Lease to own sounds more like someone bought an asset and is having it financed by the former owner.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

And I'm thinking "rent to own" is more a service & goes on Sch C. 

Plus I vaguely remember that the accounting for "rent to own" business is a wee bit complicated.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
RollTide68
Level 8

I would take a look at this article on lease options.  May be classified as an installment sale.

https://www.ccim.com/cire-magazine/articles/lease-option-or-installment-sale/?gmSsoPc=1

Greta
Level 9

I have considered it a Schedule E rental because too often the "buyer" walks away from the contract after a few years.