Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Qualified Medical Expenses

Hello all, 

For some reason, I can't seem to find where to input the dollar amount for qualified medical expenses to offset the HSA contribution. I see the line on the form for that information, but it doesn't allow me to simply type it in. Curious what worksheet I'm missing? 

Thank you!

Dawn

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@SensibleandHourly wrote:

to offset the HSA contribution.

Do you mean the HSA "distribution"?  It is on the 1099-SA on line 3.  If the full amount was used for qualified expenses, you check that box.  If only partial, then enter the number on the next line.

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@SensibleandHourly wrote:

to offset the HSA contribution.

Do you mean the HSA "distribution"?  It is on the 1099-SA on line 3.  If the full amount was used for qualified expenses, you check that box.  If only partial, then enter the number on the next line.

C-Mac
Level 1

On line 8 question (Entire distribution used to pay qualified medical expense) I checked this and my issue went away since she paid more than the contribution.

qbteachmt
Level 15

"the dollar amount for qualified medical expenses to offset the HSA contribution"

"since she paid more than the contribution."

We're trying to get you to correctly understand how these are not stated properly.

I can contribute up to the limit for a year and have No Expenses, and that's what the provision is for contributions.

Meanwhile, I might incur medical expense, and even if I no longer qualify for making contributions to my HSA, I can still spend that money. If I spend it on medical costs, the use of the funds (which can be thought of as a reimbursement to me of my cost) is not taxable.

So, the phrase is:

"I need to show their HSA distribution did not exceed the Costs."

Contribution has nothing to do with that prior sentence.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.

Yes, distribution. Thank you, it was the 1099-SA, I was missing. Too focused on Form 8889!!