Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Program Adjustment

Spanky
Level 3

How can we get the options for direct deposits (yes-no) and direct withdrawals (yes-no) on the Federal and State Returns to show as an error so that a forced entry must be made.

This seems to be a common problem among us accountants, including myself, whereby we have failed to indicate an amount due to be a direct withdrawal or a refund to b a direct deposit.

Thank you, 

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

I completely agree with the need to have professional software designed to monitor and flag the simple things so the prep time is kept short and smooth, but you're using Intuit software, so no such luck there, especially with the State software.

I tried for years to get corrections to the various State of Ohio tax returns, with absolutely zero results.

Thanks for the good wishes and I hope your season is successful as well.

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
dkh
Level 15

I use Professional - If I have clients bank account info in Federal Information worksheet, I get an error if I don't mark Yes/No for DD on refunds or Yes/No for balance due.........on federal and Indiana

Spanky
Level 3

Thank you for your response.  Yes, I get that error as well on the Federal end.  However, on the New York return that I am currently working on, the "X" defaults to "Use direct deposit for any state refund".  That is the issue and problem I am having.  The individual has an amount due and NO error is reflected.  And come crunch time, where we have no time to think because the April 15th or 18th just doesn't give us enough time to think, these things are overlooked. The program should not default to putting an "X' in that box!    

The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

Crunch time or not, the client is relying on you to catch all those little details and do it correctly.

Getting software changes at this point is nearly impossible, even when it is critical. State software changes are way down on the list of "things to do"

Make yourself a "must do" final checklist before e-filing and you'll have an easier time of it, and by April 15th or 18th, it will have become second nature for you.

Lists are boring, but they work, speaking from practical experience.

Spanky
Level 3

Thank you for the advice.  I do have checklists galore and Excel spreadsheets and everything else I need to keep track of what needs to be done. But if the state tax programs force us every time to put a "X" to indicate whether or not the client made untaxed purchases from out of state retailers (which I know I personally have never checked off "yes" once), I figured maybe, just maybe, the program can force us to mark whether or not a direct withdrawal will be maid when money is owed.  Thank you again and wishing you a successful tax season. 

0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

I completely agree with the need to have professional software designed to monitor and flag the simple things so the prep time is kept short and smooth, but you're using Intuit software, so no such luck there, especially with the State software.

I tried for years to get corrections to the various State of Ohio tax returns, with absolutely zero results.

Thanks for the good wishes and I hope your season is successful as well.