Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new business start up

sandy1202
Level 1

I have a client that purchased a Water/Ice dispensing machine in February 2022. I was delivered in August and they started the process of having it installed but ran into permit issues with the city where they were planning to install it. They changed the location and city, but did not complete installation until January 2023. I know they can claim start up expenses, but can they depreciate and take a 179 on the cost of the machine on their 2022 

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
dkh
Level 15

No depreciation. IRS rules - date purchased or date placed in service whichever is latest.

BobKamman
Level 15

Generally property is considered placed in service when it is ready and available for a specific use, regardless of whether or not it is actually used at the time.  

From what you are saying, the machine was ready and available.  The first site location was not.  Perhaps a close call based on all the facts and circumstances, but I don't view my job as saying No to everyone.  

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

I'd say it wasn't ready and available until it was installed.

Ex-AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

@sandy1202 

Start up costs are not deductible until the business starts.

Ex-AllStar
taxes96786
Level 9

Not if it wasn't in service.

0 Cheers