Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's been another slice of heaven

IRonMaN
Level 15

That’s just something from the internet and we know you can’t believe everything you see on the internet.😜

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

On Google, Type in Dan Nemes Von Nerdman, CPA, Possum Valley, PA and it may tell you that I have one employee. The employee's name is Heidi Von Nerdman. I'm not sure, but I think some of these sites just estimate what they think the gross income is, and then they figure that the higher the gross income then the more employees that that business has.

linduca1216
Level 7

Wait... are you serious??   There are things on the internet that aren't true??

PATAX
Level 15

@linduca1216 yes there are things that are not true on the internet. But there are also things that are true, like Elvis is alive and living on a UFO.

Camp1040
Level 10

@Jim-from-Ohio don't be shocked if I stop in and want to go to lunch. Jim I never defend my fee and you do not need to defend the number of returns you do.

Although it does hurt when clients say "oh I was expecting to pay more"

linduca1216
Level 7

Oh, that news is such a relief!

linduca1216
Level 7

Oh, such a relief!   Elvis is alive and well...

IRonMaN
Level 15

Elvis really is alive and well and living in Medina, OH with two cats, Bigfoot and some CPA named Jim.  Nobody has been able to identify what the CPA's last name is, but they are working on it and hope to have an answer soon.

Slava Ukraini!
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

@Jim-from-Ohio ..man..how long did it take you write all those reviews?? 

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

Jim possibly has a split personality disorder?  Are there 4 people inside that one body?  Just kidding Jim.

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

just three.. me. . myself.. and I. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

"Jim possibly has a split personality disorder?"

But everybody here has some type of disorder.  Why else would we be in this profession? 🤔

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

@Camp1040 did you ever make it to Grafton Ohio this week?  I was looking for you in Medina

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I just filed a 990-N but though it does not take a lot of time to do, I have to keep them in my roster of clients, monitor that it gets filed and in Ohio you have to file an annual report with the Ohio Attorney General office.. I sent them a what I thought was a very reasonable bill and they gave me some push back.  I know it was a very good price to begin with and this client also has a regular for profit company and he brings up fees on that also.. just hit me wrong and I wrote back that if he thinks my fees are too high maybe this would be a good time to explore other options for a CPA.  He wrote back all apolgetic.  I told him it's OK.. I was already giving the non-profift a nice discount.. taking tlps from others here about pricing and charging properly. 

one more thing.. rec'd an email this morning from a guy starting a new business in Medina.. If it was tax season I would have referred him out but I thought.. hmm. I am going to give him a reply offering a one hour meeting for a fee of $ 250.00 to discuss his situation and what he can expect tax wise when running a business.. I used to do these into meetings for free but I stopped doing that as a lot of information is shared during these meetings.. I figured he would not even respond or give me some push back on the fee but he wrote back asking when he could meet.  So the groundwork is laid for letting him know that I charge and will charge decently for going forward if we decide to work together. 

PATAX
Level 15

@Jim-from-Ohio👍 good job. Raise your rates. Most people will not complain. If a few leave then good. You will make more money and do less work. You are also right to charge for that meeting, why give people for free the knowledge and expertise that you have gained over the years, especially since they may not come back and go somewhere else.

IRonMaN
Level 15

My motto is, double your rates, lose half of your clients.  That allows you to make as much money as you do now and only work half as much.  As I mentioned, that is my motto ------------------ it's not actually how I run this place.  😬

Slava Ukraini!
Camp1040
Level 10

YES, I'm in Grafton, been going to Cleveland every day to visit a family member at Seidman. If we swing by Medina I will certainly send a message! Thanks for asking.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Don’t plan on a visit.  With all of his cars, you won’t find a place to park.

Slava Ukraini!
Camp1040
Level 10

I'm just hoping Jim will give up the name of his tailor!

IRonMaN
Level 15

I believe the name is Biff ----------------- or were looking for a few more details than just the name?

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

His tailor is most likely an old Italian genleman named Alberto or Vincenzo.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Did Guido retire?

Slava Ukraini!
Camp1040
Level 10

I want name,address and website! Give it up Jim!!!

PATAX
Level 15

Guido retired and now he just makes a little bit of money making prosciutto.

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

you would not believe my source.. my goal is to be the best dressed accountant but only coupled with being the most frugal, including my source

IRonMaN
Level 15

@Camp1040 

Here is the guy - he is pictured in his new spring line coming out in May.

Jim's taylor.jpg

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN 🤣🤣🤣

PATAX
Level 15
Spoiler
@Jim-from-Ohio please don't tell us that your tailor is at Sears and Roebucks.
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

tailor free purchases.. no tailoring required.. perfect fit everytime

PATAX
Level 15

@Jim-from-Ohio Goodwill?

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

@PATAX oh no.. talk about germs.. these are all brand new, never to be worn by someone else

PATAX
Level 15

@Jim-from-Ohio yeah I know I was just joking about Goodwill. 

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

yep.. I know.. I do have a thing about germs though. anther reason i always greet my clients in the lobbby with my appt book in my right hand.. hard to shake hands with somehing in your hand. 

PATAX
Level 15

Yeah that's a good idea I might have to start doing that. I did everything to try to not catch covid, but they gave me covid twice. 

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

works great.. I think i cut down hand shaking by 95%. sometimes they may get me and catch me off guard but I got pretty good at avoiding it.. I have GermX (Aldi brand, it's less expensive) which I use once they leave. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

Jim, have you ever thought of going with this look to help with the germ issue?

Bubble boy.jpg

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

@IRonMaN can I get that on Amazon?

IRonMaN
Level 15

I haven't seen them on Amazon, but there are a couple of Etsy vendors that do sell them.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Actually, now that I think about it, I believe I saw someone selling vests that fit on the outside of the bubble ------- just in case you are interested.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
linduca1216
Level 7

I remember attending a seminar where they discussed rates.  They said think what amount the client wouldn't accept and then bring it down $10!!   (or some silly amount...)

PATAX
Level 15

@linduca1216 for years I did not charge enough. Last two or three years I have been raising the rates and I don't think anyone has complained because I am still on the low side. If I would have raised the rates years ago, I would be living now in a villa on a Mediterranean island, instead of sitting here in Possum Valley.

IRonMaN
Level 15

But you would have been breathing in all of that salty air instead of the clean, fresh air in Possum Valley.  

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN 👍 but Possum Valley smells the way possums look.😉

IRonMaN
Level 15

Look on the bright side - at least you aren't living in Skunk Valley.

Slava Ukraini!