Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's been another slice of heaven

IRonMaN
Level 15

Well for the first time in a few years, I can go home at 5:00 like a normal human being on April 15th (or the equivalent depending when the IRS gets a bonus holiday).  The last few years I was fighting getting extensions out into the evening.  I have managed to kick my addiction to this place and amazingly that resulted in being ahead of the game for my own business.  That doesn't mean I don't spend a fair amount of time here, but I have managed to cut back a little talking about important issues like Burger King and Google reviews.  I still do enjoy helping a few lost souls here and trying to provide a smile here and there for all of the overworked folks that visit this place.  So for most of the regulars here, see you tomorrow since the beat still goes on.  For those of you closing up shop for awhile or heading off to some exotic vacation like spending two weeks in Pittsburgh, have fun and always remember that the only two sure things are death and taxes.  And to be honest, I would rather be spending time dealing with folks that are alive and flexible rather than stiff --------- although we do run into a few folks here that lack a sense of humor so it is hard to tell the difference between them and someone that an undertaker works with.  Congratulations to everyone that survived another tax season.  For those that are thinking of retiring always remember Garrison Keillor's profound thought - it is a proven fact that 100% of retired people die.  So keep working, keep living. 

Slava Ukraini!
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

@Jim-from-Ohio ..man..how long did it take you write all those reviews?? 

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.

View solution in original post

93 Comments 93
JRC
Level 8

Have a Good Night!!!   IRonMaN...  We all deserve it..

IRonMaN
Level 15

Yes we do!

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I'll be here a longgg time.. over 200 on extensions.. now to get caught up on corporate books and some other things. I won't say how many returns I did this year unless prodded. 

PATAX
Level 15

@Jim-from-Ohio okay how many did you do?

linduca1216
Level 7

Oh, that sounds awful!!

Camp1040
Level 10

Thank you everyone for the info, the laughs and the experience. Not off to Pittsburg, but off to Clevland in a few days!!!

PATAX
Level 15

@Camp1040 👍 wow that's worse. Is the lake still on fire there?😉

Camp1040
Level 10

Yeah, right. Who goes to Clevland

Camp1040_0-1713222163605.png

dkh
Level 15

prod.jpg         ok how many ?

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

@Camp1040 I never say I am from Cleveland. I am from tropical Medina. just about a half hour ride down I-71 from Cleveland. if in the area stop in.

@PATAX not counting my 7:20 pm appt tonight and my 8 pm appt after that, total completed, including 1065s, 1120s and 1120Ss comes to 1,463, short of my 1,500 goal but with over 200 on extensions I will surpass that pretty well. 

@ everyone.. great tax season. thank you.  have to fight up the post tax season let down which I seem to experience.. not this year I hope.. like running a 10-K.. train and train. accomplish it and mixed feeling afterward.. on one hand, asking what did I just do, what I just accomplish. on another hand, feeling a bit spent. 

Camp1040
Level 10

@Jim-from-Ohio  Actually I will be in Grafton OH, maybe even closer than Medina!

PATAX
Level 15

@Jim-from-Ohio I give you credit Jim.

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

436855817_2301112810088313_8411849040452242455_n.jpg

JRC
Level 8

Rock Hall of Fame!!

IRonMaN
Level 15

Hey, what’s wrong with Cleveland?  I heard it is really pretty when ………………….  Ok, never mind, I don’t know what I was thinking.  

Slava Ukraini!
linduca1216
Level 7

Good grief!   Please tell me you aren't doing this alone!!

linduca1216
Level 7
khorosha robota
linduca1216
Level 7
khorosha robota!
TiredFarmer
Level 7

Thanks for making the tax season brighter.  I think all of our clients decided to wait until the last day to pick up their returns I was worried about how many you could e-file in a day....and then there is Jim I would never get close to his record....I have decided to stick with Heidi anyway because she looks like she would be a good listener.   Hope you all have a good night with some well-deserved rest.  I really appreciate you all.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Get a good nights rest and hopefully you won’t be quite so tired tomorrow 😊

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

Meanwhile, as Stephen Colbert would say ...

Some H&R Block customers dealt with hours of outages ahead of the tax day deadline on Monday night, the tax filing service confirmed on social media.

In a post on the social platform X around 11:15 a.m. EDT Monday, H&R Block said an issue prevented some desktop software users from e-filing their returns. “Online clients” and those working with a professional virtually or in person were not impacted, the company said. Shortly after 3:45 p.m. EDT, H&R Block said the issue was resolved.

“We are happy to report the issue that was affecting a small number of our downloadable desktop software users has been resolved,” the company wrote on X.

Data from Downdetector, which uses self-reports of service disruptions, shows the apparent outages began around 9 p.m. EDT on Sunday and rose throughout the night, before falling Monday morning. Starting around 6 a.m., the outages began to climb back up. At its peak around noon EDT, nearly 1,700 outages were reported before the number began to drop around 3:20 p.m., Downdetector reported.

https://thehill.com/business/4596132-hr-block-customers-faced-outages-ahead-of-tax-day-deadline/

IRonMaN
Level 15

How sad for the Blockheads

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

@linduca1216 yep.. just me

BobKamman
Level 15

@linduca1216  We take this with a grain of salt, there is precious little else to provide amusement during tax season.  Ask him for a screen shot of his PTIN count and he'll change the subject.  

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

https://dashboard.refundo.com/2023/ext/?fbclid=IwAR1wqzXZGNt5rSVjYqjSaqEfhdKjRFBurMoK2trFCskcGsfzWbg...

count from last tax season right there.. I will surpass even this record in 2024. only firm that does more than me has an entire staff of people..

BobKamman
Level 15

And elsewhere we find 4 employees

Revenue
$1.1 M

Employees

Founded

https://www.datanyze.com/companies/james-p-coco-cpa/356456131 

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I am a one man shop in spite of what that says. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

Jim has been fibbing to us all of this time.  He has all of those employees to help him out.  It has to be true if you read it on the internet 🤣

Slava Ukraini!
GodFather
Level 8

Was a long season but a good one.  The program worked extremely well for me this year and absolutely made things more productive.  I guess year three using ProSeries Professional allowed for a bit more familiarity.  But most of the thanks goes to those on this board who freely provide all their insight and support.  It's very much appreciated.  Wishing everyone more relaxing days in the months to come.  Until we "meet" again.  🙂

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I also thought the program worked exceptionally.  yesterday we were all up against the deadline.. client comes in with a hurricane disaster loss.. not many hurricanes in Medina Ohio and the casuaty loss deduction has been severely cut back as far as who can claim it. never did a hurricane loss deduction before.. client has the diaster number.. followed the form in ProSeries. put the disaster loss number in the program and other data regarding the loss.. presto.. calculation was done flawlessly. 

PATAX
Level 15

I agree with Jim and Godfather. So far this tax season has worked out pretty well with me with Pro Series Professional. But a lot of that has to do with all of the good people on this forum who leave valuable information that helps us. Thank you. I appreciate it.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I'm not patting Intuit on the back quite yet.  I had trouble getting my last two extensions out last night.  Also, I always go through my homebase on the deadline to make sure I haven't missed someone that either I haven't transmitted yet or who I normally extend.  There were a fair number of returns that had been accepted but the status just showed as transferred.  I had to open up each of those returns before the correct status would show.  On April 15th I do have to second guess myself, did I really forget to transmit someone's return (even though I keep a separate log), or is the software just lying to me?  And lastly, up to the end, I was still clicking over to the state return in order to print a single form or a client letter.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

It has been a slice, I'm not exactly what it's been a slice * of  * tho.

Fewer returns on extension than ever in my tax pro life.  And several are actually done but on hold for SEPP funding reasons, or waiting to see if Congress ever decides on the taxability of the PGE 'fire' settlements.

Unfortunately, Lacerte has been the MOST unstable it has been in maybe forever?  

But I know I'm way, way too old to switch.

And I really think quite a few of my clients have become a lot dumber.  Or, maybe I'm just less tolerant?   

Major employee issues - I feel like I spent a lot of time "herding cats "

Payroll day, so I've to be at the office to supervise.  Tomorrow tho....sit in the sun!!

Thanks to all that chimed in here to either help, or entertain (hi Jeff)

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

I found out that my Intuit paycheck is the same whether I am here to help or here to entertain, so I prefer the entertainment side.  I hope my road show is worth the entertainment fee that Intuit has built into your invoice 😁

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

We need entertainment for what we have to put up with doing what we do. That's probably what some think that some of my posts are. But every once in awhile I have a good post, apparently, like the EFTPS will require multi-factor Authentication. I actually didn't know that there would be that many responses, but apparently many people didn't know. Even a blind squirrel like me finds an acorn once in awhile.😉🐿

BobKamman
Level 15

April 15 used to be remembered as the day a ship sailing for New York hit an iceberg. 

Now it can also be remembered as the day a sleepy defendant nodded off in a New York courtroom.

NYS.jpg

IRonMaN
Level 15

Bob I kind of forgot that story.  Were you on that ship or were you just at the dock when the survivors were brought back to shore? 😀

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

@IRonMaN I have a framed reproduction of the first page of the Boston Globe for that date on my office wall.   Actually, two of them, one from a later edition.  But if there had been income tax back then, the due date would have been March 15.  So maybe I should have a bust of Julius Caesar instead.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

I have to admit that is a cool wall hanging to have.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

Titanic.jpg

IRonMaN
Level 15

IRonMaN_0-1646756650665.png

Slava Ukraini!
linduca1216
Level 7

Ha!

linduca1216
Level 7

I can't even imagine.     By the time you copy documents, etc.  let's say 1/2 hr per return...(maybe less) that would be 600 hours and then all the questions that are open for at least half of them..

amazing! 

linduca1216
Level 7

oh, you are mean!!

linduca1216
Level 7

oh, dear... ouch!

PATAX
Level 15

@linduca1216 the facts speak for themselves and he does do that many returns. He doesn't engage in Chit Chat and he goes straight to work and obviously he has his system down packed and a very fast copier / printer. And obviously he has been in business for years and now he has the right clients that are organized and don't dump a box of nonsense on him. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

The firm has 4 employees according to that link.  So there is Jim, his two cats, and maybe a chipmunk that pitches in to get those returns out the door.

Slava Ukraini!
linduca1216
Level 7

I set up a status report and just chose fields that were pertinent re: filing, etc.  

Worked out pretty well....  If they didn't need to file, etc. or it was better to file MFS, etc., I would put that in the status field at the end of that page so it would show up on the report.

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

another proof. one employee: 

https://www.thumbtack.com/oh/medina/tax-preparation/james-p-coco-cpa/service/120001582696309961

I've sent multiple sources.. my reviews, tons of them never speak of another preparer also. not sure why it is so difficult to believe.   Camp 1040 will be 20 minutes from Medina. they can see for themselves..