Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IL-1120-ST - Filing Electronically a Short Year 2023

Bessy
Level 2

Hello, I need to e-file an IL-1120-ST for a short year tax for a business that ended on 11/30/2023, but proseries is giving me an error message saying that "per Illinois Department of Revenue only returns with tax years ending between 12/25/2023 and 12/25/2024 can be electronically filed". That statement is wrong.  Is anyone else experiencing this program error? Thank you for your help. 

0 Cheers
11 Comments 11

What was the date that the short tax year began on?

Bessy
Level 2

Hello, it began on 1/1/2023 and ended on 11/30/2023

0 Cheers

Is it a final return?

Bessy
Level 2

Yes, it is a final return. 

0 Cheers

Just change the final date to 12/31/23.  Your problem should go away.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I like simple solutions to software problems.  I'll give you two thumbs for that.  One official thumb and one unofficial thumb

thumbs up.jpg

Slava Ukraini!

I'll take thumbs.  And Fireball.

IntuitMark304
Employee
Employee

Frustrated-in-IL,

Wanted to hop in and explain why you are seeing that error message in the product that is blocking you from filing a short year return with a 11/30/23 year end in the 2023 Proseries software.  

On page 1 of the instructions for the IL-1120ST, Illinois specifically identifies that only filers with a year ending on or after 12/31/23 and before 12/31/24 may file on the 2023  version of the forms.

You may want to consider using the 2022 software to file electronically with a 11/30/23 year end.  See screenshot from the instructions for more detail.  

I hope this is helpful.  

0 Cheers

I think you meant to address your response to Bessy.

As I suggested in response, if Bessy just changes the year end date to 12/31/23, the problem goes away.

IRonMaN
Level 15

And I'm guessing 2022 was already filed using the 2022 program so that plan wouldn't work anyway.  Changing the year end to 12/31/23 is the simple, efficient way to go.  And in case we are worried that the date isn't when they actually ended, as long as it is filed timely within the parameters of a 11/30 return - no foul, no harm.

Two thumbs for another knock out answer.

IRonMaN_0-1649091097214.pngChamp.jpg

Slava Ukraini!
Bessy
Level 2

Thank you every one for your help. I ended up submitting a paper return because if I do not file by the due date of that short tax year, my client would have gotten a penalty. I still believe this is a software error that prosieries needs to fix. 

You were very helpful. Thank you!