Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you report the sale of a rental property if the mother owned it but added her three kids to the deed? All four people received a 1099S?

chiodoinc
Level 4

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
taxes96786
Level 9

IMO... if kids were placed on the deed 20 years ago then they are each 1/4 owner. Each has a basis of 1/4 FMV at time of transfer. 1099s needs to be reported and sales amount allocated by percentage to each.

That only mom reported Sch E over the years is not relevent.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
23 Comments 23
BobKamman
Level 15

Only one of them had been reporting the rental income and expenses?  When were the kids added as owners, ten years ago or ten days before the sale?

chiodoinc
Level 4

Yes only the mother was reporting the income.  She had the property for 30 years and added the kids on 20 year ago.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

I would report the entire sale on the mother's return and suggest to the kids that they file nominee 1099-S forms directing the proceeds back to her.  Substance over form.  

BobKamman
Level 15

I probably should have asked, what did they do with the four checks?  But if the kids kept it, they probably understood that they were holding it for Mom but wanted her to qualify for welfare so the taxpayers could support her and they wouldn't have to.  

sjrcpa
Level 15

Did Mom file a gift tax return 20 years ago?

Ex-AllStar
chiodoinc
Level 4

How do you file a 1099 Nominee?  I believe the kids were added in the event the mother passed.  The checks were kept by the kids and one went to the mother. So all four individuals now have 1099S forms and the rental is on the mother's return.

0 Cheers
chiodoinc
Level 4

I am sure she did not. I would guess her previous accountant or lawyer never suggested that.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

You can find the 1099-S form and instructions online.  It's about as easy as it would have been for them to deed it back to Mom before the sale.  

sjrcpa
Level 15

if we're saying it was Mom's house and kids' names were on it for convenience, then Mom has made a gift now to the kids who kept the money.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
chiodoinc
Level 4

It was initially the mother's rental property.  Then 20 years ago she added her kids to the deed. Now the rental is sold and each of them received a 1099S.  I was just not sure it gets reported on each of the tax returns. If they have been on the deed for 20 years is it still a gift since they are part owners of the rental?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

It was either a gift of part of the rental property 20 years ago or a gift of cash now.

Depends on what position you are taking regarding ownership and reporting for the sale of the property.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
chiodoinc
Level 4

If it was a gift twenty years ago, do I just report the proceeds from the sale on a 4797?  This is the first time I am dealing with this situation so I just want to make sure I am doing things correctly.  Sorry for all the questions. I appreciate the input.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Has it been rented for 20 years, or did Mom live there until recently when she moved to assisted living?  

I'm not sure there is an easy way to untangle this web.  

qbteachmt
Level 15

"If it was a gift twenty years ago"

So the other 3 had no activity nor tax benefit from this rental? "In name only."

"It was either a gift of part of the rental property 20 years ago or a gift of cash now."

How much are the amounts on/at the time of all of these events? Can you estimate, for instance, with 4 people and property held from that long ago and even gifted that long ago, do you have events that fall under the gift limits? Are you looking at $65k original cost or $650k, for example? What is the basis when gifted (split 4 ways), what is the current sale price (FMV), total depreciated, etc? What is the amount of each check from the sale now (net)? Perhaps they can use the nominee process, then she has this disbursement as gifts now. Was that other transfer deed recorded and everyone was on the title, or did she just direct them to cut those checks?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
chiodoinc
Level 4

The mother never lived in it.  It was strictly a rental.

0 Cheers
taxes96786
Level 9

IMO... if kids were placed on the deed 20 years ago then they are each 1/4 owner. Each has a basis of 1/4 FMV at time of transfer. 1099s needs to be reported and sales amount allocated by percentage to each.

That only mom reported Sch E over the years is not relevent.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

What may be relevant is that the kids have been in a 30% tax bracket for decades, Mom has been in a 0% bracket, and they have successfully assigned their rental income to her.  I would say they get away Scot free, but there is some question lately about how much the guy with the Scottish mother will get away with.  

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Each has a basis of 1/4 FMV at time of transfer."

Not FMV; basis at the point of transfer, right?

That's why this is useless without understanding the values.

abctax55
Level 15

"....Each has a basis of 1/4 FMV at time of transfer." 

Laura - would you like to edit your answer as you were given the 'solve'?  Just for the future searchers that you are trying to educate?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
chiodoinc
Level 4

Thank you to everyone who offered a suggestion.  I understand this is an unusual situation and was probably not handled properly from the time the mother added the kids to the deed on the rental property. I  just wanted to see how to report the sale of the property so everyone pays their share of gains.  Thank you for the suggestions.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

@qbteachmt Basis at the point of transfer, or basis at that point less all the depreciation Mom has taken since then, even though she didn't own the property?

@chiodoinc Unfortunately, this is not an unusual situation.  The wealthy try to avoid probate with trusts.  The poor try to avoid it by quickly recording quitclaim deeds.  

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"even though she didn't own the property?"

Up to the date of transfer, she owned the property. At least, that's what was stated.

We're not going to resolve this. We still are not being given enough info to really help at all. All we've done is point out all the issues that have gone wrong.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

@qbteachmt An earlier post stated "She had the property for 30 years and added the kids on 20 year ago.."    So yes, up to the date of transfer she owned the property, but the date of transfer was long ago.  Nevertheless, she treated the property as her own, reporting all of the rent and expenses. 

I think we have all the information to resolve this -- the sale goes on Mom's return, and the kids can deal with the 1099-S as best they can.  The sins of the mother are being visited on them.  But if you hang around here long enough, you can always get the answer you want, even when it's wrong.  

0 Cheers