Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do some people survive this long?

IRonMaN
Level 15

So I walk into the office on this beautiful drab, rainy day and the first thing I see is a light on my phone.  Whenever I see that light the first thing in the morning I know someone is near death and a call to 911 won't help because only their CPA can save them.  Well, that's what I assume anyway.  So I listen to my voicemail.  A client picked up their return last week.  Our normal process is to staple a copy of their tax return into a pretty little presentation folder.  When they pick up the return, we open up the folder, show them the cover letter saying your refund or balance due is this, and point out the results of each return.  Minnesota has a property refund return that has been used quite a bit this year, so often there is a third return to discuss with the client.  And believe it or not, this beautiful little package is the clients to keep and look through at their convenience.  And I know that every single client takes that folder home and examines those returns very closely -------- sometimes forgetting to go to sleep that night because the information is so riveting.  Everything they gave us is returned and intact in the package.  So pretty much any question that you might have regarding their tax return is in that package.  Anyway, back to my voicemail - "Jeff, this is Nora Notsobright.  I forgot to write down what my state property tax refund is going to be, so could you have your secretary call me back with that amount?"  😳

Slava Ukraini!
12 Comments 12
PATAX
Level 15

Even when it is typed out, some do not bother to read it closely. I could understand if they are immigrants and have questions and may not read English real well. But usually this is not the case, like you said they just don't bother reading.

Camp1040
Level 10

@IRonMaN @PATAX ....One important step you are leaving out ...yellow flourscent highlighters!! and sticky flags on the page with refunds and amt due. Yes you will still get calls. When I have a client with a balance due and they are paying witha paper check, I provide and envelope with the proper IRS sevice center and I include the 1040-V in the envelope. During review I underline and highligt the instructions, make check payable to US treasury blah blah blah. Plus a post it note on the addressed payment envelope, stating payment voucher is enclosed.

I get calls that client can't fine the 1040-V, I respond it is in the envelope with the post it note stating payment voucher is enclosed......."Well you didn't say it was enclosed in the envelope" ----I made a note to increase prep fee next year for this TP😂

IRonMaN
Level 15

I kid a lot about my clients.  Most of them are on the ball, but the handful of rogue ones make life more interesting 😀

Slava Ukraini!
Camp1040
Level 10

I have had a TP bring me $2100+ in cash, she thought that her tax liability was paid to me. You all know the answer because I'm still in business

IRonMaN
Level 15

Did you take your yellow highlighter out and mark United States of America and Treasury Department on the bills so she knew where to bring the cash?😁

Slava Ukraini!
JeffCPA
Level 4

How refreshing to read these messages!!!!! 

IRonMaN
Level 15

I've said this many times here - we all have the same clients, only their names have been changed to protect the innocent.  All tax preparers are living in an episode of Dragnet.

Slava Ukraini!
IRonMaN
Level 15

Got a call from a client.  We had been preparing a small schedule C for her for the last few years.  This year she just has a single W-2 so she thought she was going to save some money and just prepare her return on Turdddotaxxx.  No problem, I don't mind losing a JIm return.  She got her return done, and then zipped over to her kids' returns.  Oh, oh, Turdddotaxxx wants to charge her $133 for each kid return.  Depending on the client's situation, I typically add a fee equivalent to cover a Big Mac at McDonalds or sometimes don't charge anything for a dependent's tax return.  The reason for her call was, "since we don't charge for kid's returns" and Turdddotaxxx charges $133, she was asking if she could just drop off the kids' W-2s for us to do for free.

Slava Ukraini!
Camp1040
Level 10

Was her name Lena and did Sven put her up to it.?

IRonMaN
Level 15

Well, her name is Svenessa

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

hey now.. not all my returns are one W-2 type:).. i have very few of those types of returns.. most have a combination of W-2s, 1099-INTs and DIVs. 1099-Rs.. and a lot of schedule Cs, 1065s, 1120s, 1120Ss.. i would like to farm out the 990 series returns though.. never did like those, espeicaly the full blown 990.

IRonMaN
Level 15

But you can extend those 990s and keep busy all summer working on those extended returns

Slava Ukraini!