Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I expense the remaining amortization of loan fees (points) on a rental property (Schedule E) in the year of sale??

TAXATION
Level 4

How do I expense or handle the remaining amortization of loan fees (points) on a rental property (Schedule E) in the year of sale?

Especially when it was entered in an asset entry worksheet to amortize - (as an amortizable intangible)

Thanks

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
on the asset entry worksheet you should be able to put a date of disposal to stop the amortization, then put the remaining cost as Other Expenses on the Sch E worksheet as mentioned above.

Why the software cant do this for us like it can on Sch A when points are amortized and that loan gets paid off, I have no idea.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

I put something like

"Remaining loan fees at loan payoff"

on one of the other expense lines.

TAXATION
Level 4

Where on the asset entry work sheet ?  when it was entered in an asset entry worksheet to amortize - (as an amortizable intangible)

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
on the asset entry worksheet you should be able to put a date of disposal to stop the amortization, then put the remaining cost as Other Expenses on the Sch E worksheet as mentioned above.

Why the software cant do this for us like it can on Sch A when points are amortized and that loan gets paid off, I have no idea.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
TAXATION
Level 4

thank you.   Will try tomorrow 

Accountant-Man
Level 13

Change the life of the asset to one.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers