Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Error F8962-70?

Brother Jack
Level 3

Seen this discussed recently but did not want to hijack the threads

My situation is a reject for a non dependent child's return who's parents have the 1095A; who's return I also prepared.  100% of the 1095A info was reported on the parents return who received additional PTC credit.. That return was accepted without issue.

For the Non-dependent I completed the 1095A worksheet line for line using all the information from the parents 1095A. I then allocated 0% to the non-dependent.  That info flows to the 8962 Part IV properly but the 8962 is not a (F6) highlighted form or part of the return.. I can't get proseries to generate a Form 8962. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong,  and the return continues to reject with the standard F8962-70 error.

What am I missing here

Appreciate any help or guidance.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I know that a couple of years ago, ProSeries was incorrectly NOT filing 8962 when 0% was allocated on the tax return.  I had assumed they eventually fixed it, but it seems like they did not fix it or they broke it again (I shouldn't be surprised at that).

You should be able to attach a "ACA Explanation" that will let it file.  I am GUESSING that if you attach a PDF called "ACA Explanation" it would go through, but I don't know the specifics of that. 

Lower cost software, such as TaxSlayer and Drake, have the "ACA Explanation" option automatically integrated into the software, but of course that is another thing that ProSeries is lacking in.

https://support.taxslayerpro.com/hc/en-us/articles/4417446545306-IRS-Reject-Code-F8962-070

https://kb.drakesoftware.com/Site/Browse/17542/8962-Marketplace-Coverage-and-Premium-Tax-Credit-Reje...

Another possible work-around is to enter a fictitious 1095-A with $1, $1 and $1 for one of the months.

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

hmmmm, Im going to have one of these soon..Im not sure what the answer is for this.

@TaxGuyBill  any words of wisdom to force the 8962 to be included?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I know that a couple of years ago, ProSeries was incorrectly NOT filing 8962 when 0% was allocated on the tax return.  I had assumed they eventually fixed it, but it seems like they did not fix it or they broke it again (I shouldn't be surprised at that).

You should be able to attach a "ACA Explanation" that will let it file.  I am GUESSING that if you attach a PDF called "ACA Explanation" it would go through, but I don't know the specifics of that. 

Lower cost software, such as TaxSlayer and Drake, have the "ACA Explanation" option automatically integrated into the software, but of course that is another thing that ProSeries is lacking in.

https://support.taxslayerpro.com/hc/en-us/articles/4417446545306-IRS-Reject-Code-F8962-070

https://kb.drakesoftware.com/Site/Browse/17542/8962-Marketplace-Coverage-and-Premium-Tax-Credit-Reje...

Another possible work-around is to enter a fictitious 1095-A with $1, $1 and $1 for one of the months.

Brother Jack
Level 3

Thank you TGB

I created a PDF statement with a simple explanation of 100% benefits claimed by parent. I also attached within the PDF a copy of the 8962 that was filled in (but not part of the return) including the populated Part IV showing  0%.claimed and also the parents Soc Sec #.

I attached to the return as type "other" attachment and a description as " ACA Explanation"

E-filed again and was accepted.

thanks for your time and solution.

jack

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Great, thanks for letting us know that worked!

bjtvrdik
Level 1

Thanks for the information but this individual is in her 70s, and not yet a citizen, so doesn't have Medicare.

Anything else that can be helpful just in case he other doesn't work? Thanks for your help

0 Cheers
j_ellamaa
Level 2

Did you actually come to a solution you can explain? I have been having this issue for a month now and still no solution. I have spent over 5 hours on the phone with technical support and they basically have no answers either!

0 Cheers
DrReality
Level 1

I just ran into this error today. The clients have confirmed with the marketplace there was no insurance in 2021, but they did have it in 2020. Repayment of excess premium credit was suspended that year, so no 8962 was to be attached. I am wondering if the IRS system is unable to connect the dots and therefore requires an explanation.

0 Cheers