Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 8828 Recapture Mortgage Tax Credit

ellen1
Level 2

Does Proseries not support Form 8828

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

I would complete the form 8828 (IRS Fillable pdf available online) and attach it to the return as a PDF.

I would enter the amount of the recapture on Schedule 2 line 17a.

I did one several years ago and don't recall if proseries supported at that time, doesn't look like it does now,  but the above should work.

david3
Level 7

Jeff, I just tried that but line 17a doesn't allow any entries. The result comes from the line 17a Recapture of Other Credits Smart Worksheet and F 8828 isn't one of the entry lines.

If I override line 17a then I still won't be able to e-file because there will be an e-file error. If I uncheck the e-file check errors box will I be able to e-file with the overridden entry?

If not, how did you get it to work?

Thanks.

0 Cheers
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Just because proseries gives you an message warning about an override during review or conversion, does not necessarily mean the return can not be efiled. You will never know until you try it, and see if it gets rejected. 

You may have to turn off error checking during conversion (not sure if that is the correct terminology)

In any case, I would give it a try, and see if the IRS rejects or accepts it.

david3
Level 7

Thanks, Jeff.