Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake IRS letter? Heads Up.

PATAX
Level 15

Client texted to me today an alleged "IRS" letter. Letterhead appears to be IRS letterhead. Here is what it says: "Dear Taxpayer: After the last annual calculations of your fiscal activity, we have determined that you are eligible to receive a tax return of $976.00. In order for us to process the excess payment, please complete the Tax Return Form before December 5, 2023. (then appears to be link to "Tax Return Form"). After completing the form, please allow 5-9 business days for processing. For your convenience, we recommend not using a prepaid card, because sending funds does not support this card. Sincerely, Internal Revenue Service." Client received it in an email. Sure sounds fake to me. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
qbteachmt
Level 15

Of course it's fake. You don't get a "return" and why are they expecting you to use a "card" at all?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.

View solution in original post

13 Comments 13
qbteachmt
Level 15

Of course it's fake. You don't get a "return" and why are they expecting you to use a "card" at all?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Fake !!! IRS does not communicate with clients by E-Mail 

BobKamman
Level 15

See “How to verify contact from the IRS”.

If you determine that the contact is not legitimate:

If you are a victim of a security incident, please review Publication 4557PDF and contact your Stakeholder Liaison (SL)

For additional guidance please see FTC Data Breach Guidance: A Guide for Businesses.

https://www.irs.gov/privacy-disclosure/report-phishing 

IRonMaN
Level 15

We had the same letter show up recently with one of our clients.  Evidently the friends of the recently departed Nigerian prince don’t quite have IRS lingo perfected yet.  They probably should stick with the prince death story since it is more convincing.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

Notice it said you are eligible to receive a tax return (sic) of $976.

IRonMaN
Level 15

The one our client received had the same wording so a blind tax preparer still could spot that it was bogus.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

IRS doesnt send Emails, so yes, its a scam.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
PATAX
Level 15

Yeah emails are also I believe the number one way that someone's computer gets infected with viruses. If I am not sure about an email then I open it up on my smartphone first. Little bit safer that way.

BobKamman
Level 15

@IRonMaN  People in Minnesota always want to talk about Prince's death

IRonMaN
Level 15

@BobKamman - But nobody has contacted me about getting a chunk of cash from that Prince's estate.  But I'll keep watching my e-mails ---------------- just in case.

Slava Ukraini!
George4Tacks
Level 15

FYI - This is likely the letter - I received it from taxretun@irs.gov on the third and from IRS today

irs letter.png

If you click on the blue box for Tax Return Form, you see this same letter. The link is "https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1sVf3yQnsAcU3gDxaW6nJEvA159nqkft8J8bSdQxaC_Y/preview"

Looking at the message source, it appears to come from New Zealand. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
PATAX
Level 15

Good job George.

IRonMaN
Level 15

But after reviewing the letter, I am going to recommend to my clients that we start sending their tax returns to these guys since it only takes 5 - 9 business days to process. 😜

Slava Ukraini!