Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Energy credit

Randy Haynes
Level 4

Where do I enter the cost of a Energy Star furnace/heat pump. I cannot seem to find it on the 5695 worksheet???

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

When form is ready, heat pumps are entered on line 29 not line 22, as line 22 is for a regular high efficient furnace or boiler powered by natural gas, propane, or oil. The credit for heat pumps is up to $2000 as opposed of up to $600.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
13 Comments 13
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

LINE 22, BOX A.. and here is the proof.. right click > About on that line

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Using the Right Click > About option or hitting the Yellow ? button while your cursor is on a line is a great way to learn what belongs on each line.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Don't enter it anywhere (yet).  The form is not ready and doesn't have a legitimate spot for it yet.

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

When form is ready, heat pumps are entered on line 29 not line 22, as line 22 is for a regular high efficient furnace or boiler powered by natural gas, propane, or oil. The credit for heat pumps is up to $2000 as opposed of up to $600.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

You need to check and see if that equipment qualifies for the tax credit. Energy Star is not Tax Credit. These are two different things.

https://www.energystar.gov/about/federal_tax_credits_consumer_energy_efficiency_definitions

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@qbteachmt wrote:

You need to check and see if that equipment qualifies for the tax credit. Energy Star is not Tax Credit. These are two different things.

https://www.energystar.gov/about/federal_tax_credits_consumer_energy_efficiency_definitions

Good catch.

And from what I've researched, the equipment needs to be VERY high efficiency and that unless you specifically 'shop' for a qualifying item, there is a good chance it won't qualify.

Randy Haynes
Level 4

The SEER is greater than 16, so it does qualify.

0 Cheers
Randy Haynes
Level 4

Thank you. The fact that the form is not yet ready is the basic answer my question.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Randy Haynes wrote:

The SEER is greater than 16, so it does qualify.

SEER is in regards to air conditioning.   But you called it a furnace/heat pump, which is more than air conditioning and has several more requirements to qualify.  And if I remember correctly, the requirement is based on SEER2, not SEER.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

I thought SEER is a sizing delineation, not efficiency.

This will work for a product search:

https://www.ahrinet.org/certification/cee-directory

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@qbteachmt wrote:

I thought SEER is a sizing delineation, not efficiency.

No, SEER is efficiency.  Tons or BTUs are sizing/capacity.

But I just looked things up again, and it looks like any Energy Star heat pump for a DUCTED system qualifies.  But non-ducted systems need to look at the specific specs.

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Just curious, the original poster ask for help on locating where to put an item on a form. How did it become a discussion on seer, and qualifications ? 😃

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Terry53029 wrote:

Just curious, the original poster ask for help on locating where to put an item on a form. How did it become a discussion on seer, and qualifications ? 😃

The OP asked where to put an Energy Star item, and that may not necessarily go on any form, which led to that discussion.

And my first answer told him where to put it (nowhere, at the moment).

0 Cheers