Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-FIling For Puerto Rico Residents

Hi Everybody.

For the second year I am looking for a tax preparer who e-files returns for Puerto Rico Bona Fide Residents.  Last year I just started to e-file but I could not because I have to overwrite the standard deduction (and other areas) because of the excluded Puerto Rico income for federal purposes.  Once I have to overwrite Pro Series reviewer identifies an error and I can't e-file even if I skip the Pro Serires e-file authentication and attempt to file directly with the IRS.  This represents over 80% of my federal returns so it is becoming quite a problem.  I love Pro Series but if I can't come up with a solution this year I will have to start shopping for a new software....

Angel Rivera, CPA

Puerto Rico

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
daleoempire
Level 3

Yes, unfortunately none of Intuit's products support PR returns. Same issue with Lacerte, we have to manually go in an override a bunch of stuff to get into compliance. I also see this as Puerto Rico's fault since I believe in Puerto Rico, you need to be licensed over there to be able to e-file returns. They have their own set of tax laws and more restrictions on who can e-file. Therefore, you as a CPA here and not licensed in Puerto Rico cannot e-file.

0 Cheers
EddieO84
Level 2

Hello Angel, 

I have recently come up with the same issue as yours as I will be potentially working with a client that worked in the continental U.S for some time but is really considered a bona fide Puerto Rican resident by IRS definitions. I noticed that the ProConnect software that I use doesn't have that option (unless I overlooked it), but I need to make that adjustment as he would be considered a bona fide Puerto Rican resident. I wonder if you came up with a solution to this problem. If you did, I would greatly appreciate it if you let me know. Thanks!

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Are you aware that ProSeries Pro has a box to exclude Puerto Rico income at the bottom of the federal information worksheet

0 Cheers