Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does bitlocker interfere with Proseries functions?

Joe Van
Level 2

Will activating Microsoft Bitlocker encryption affect Proseries operation and e-filing?

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I found this thread on Lacerte and how Bitlocker made them lose all their client data files.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/lacerte-tax-discussions/discussion/lost-data/00/123322

I dont know what bitlocker is or does, but you may be able to configure it to ignore your PS files, so you dont get any kind of conflicts between the 2.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Joe Van
Level 2

Thanks.  Bitlocker is a part of the windows operating system that when activated will encrypt your hard drives and can also be used to encrypt outboard drives.  It adds an additional layer of safety from hackers and other security threats.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I use BitLocker and have had no problems.

Joe Van
Level 2

Thanks.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Just to be clear, the Bitlocker "failure" didn't cause the loss of data.  The OP just couldn't access it; whether that was an actual failure or just a lost key (the info necessary to unlock bitlocker) is unclear.  The instructions are VERY specific that if you lose that key - you are out of luck.  So, don't lose it.  

Having current back-ups solves the problem of the missing data.

I use bitlocker on multiple devices & have had NO problems (I use Lacerte).

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
User FIDO 61
Level 8

Since I find no specific mention in Articles from Intuit... (cough @IntuitGabi )

@abctax55 @TaxGuyBill 

Any tips specific to BitLocker use/implementation now that you have history with it in place? Liability Insurance applications all pointing towards encryption of “data at rest” inevitability. Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

♫ So if you ask me and I don't tell you
Bet your sweet bottom dollar I lied ♪
IntuitGabi
Community Manager
Community Manager

HI @User FIDO 61 There's been no issue enabling Bitlocker (that we know of). We've been able to run the program fine with it on our machines here. 

0 Cheers
Joe Van
Level 2

I have had no issues using bitlocker.

abctax55
Level 15

@User FIDO 61 

As stated previously - I use Lacerte.  And with no problems.

I can't speak to what might happen using it with ProSeries.   Why not just try it????

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
User FIDO 61
Level 8

Being cast to Relay / translate between Partner (founder, managing partner & tax expert, but caveman) and Liability Agent (means well) has taken its toll. Apologies to all for stepping on any toes.

♫ So if you ask me and I don't tell you
Bet your sweet bottom dollar I lied ♪