Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dependency

ChiHoang
Level 4

How do I amend filing single and independent to single dependent of parent in ProSeries Basic ?

Thanks

0 Cheers
11 Comments 11
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

same as youd amend any return.....Im not sure I understand the question.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
ChiHoang
Level 4

Originally, client filed as single, independent. He wants to change to single, dependent of his parent.

There is no place on 1040X to change from independent to dependent. How to amend it ?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You would check the box down on the fed info worksheet that says he can be claimed by someone else.

I think its in Part X. 

sjrcpa
Level 15

And explain the change in the Explanation of Changes.

Ex-AllStar
ChiHoang
Level 4

I thought I have to make an amendment on form 1040X to change from independent to dependent. 

Thank you very much.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Did the kid claim themselves and now the parent return is being rejected?

Yes, you need to amend to correct that.  The dollar amounts may not change.   

You'll probably need to file the parents return on paper, it can take over 6 months for an amended return to complete processing.

ChiHoang
Level 4

Yes the kid claimed himself and the parents' return was rejected. I just efiled the amended tax form 1040X and explained it.

I thought IRS will process the amendment quickly since I efiled it. Would you think they would process it in 2-3 weeks ? And I just refile his parents return then  and hope it would not be rejected.

Thanks

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

No, amended returns are still processed manually, even when you EF them...you just save the mailing and sorting time...youre looking at multiple months at best

ChiHoang
Level 4

Do you know how to check when the amended tax return was processed ? It's too much to send his parents' tax returns in hard copies. I rather wait until the amended tax return processed to EF. They have tax refunds. Should they file an extension if by the April 15th the amended tax return (likely) was not processed ? Please advise. Thanks

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

they have a website for checking amended returns   

My advice is to paper file the parents, the amended return process is longer than paper filing an original return.

https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

ChiHoang
Level 4

Do IRS check dependency on paper filing ? If they do, why is it faster ?

Thank you so much

0 Cheers