Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clean vehicle tax credit

Danny_1450
Level 1

I have a customer who bought Tesla last year and he want to claim his tax credit. i pulled Form 8936 and filled accordingly. But i don't see his tax credit usd 7,500. I called pro series customer service; they can't help me. They told me everything looks good. still can't see the credit.  please help me with this. any help is apprciated.

Danny

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

YOU have to input the expected credit amount on Line 9.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Danny_1450
Level 1

That part is done. Even two pro series customer service officers reviewed with me but can't find any errors. 7500 is a cash credit, right? i am confused..

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Its not refundable if thats what you mean, it only reduces tax income tax liability.

Look at Line 13 of the 8936, does the credit show there?

Look at Line 18 of the 1040, does it show any tax liability?

Danny_1450
Level 1

Lisa,

Thankyou so much for your help.

I checked line 13 on 8936; this is a good point. Thank you.

On 1040, line 18, there is no tax liability it is = 0.

Danny.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

No tax liability, so they dont get use of the credit....and it sucks that it doesnt carryover like solar credit, would have been a good year for some tax planning before the end of 2023, could have taken advantage of that credit and converted an IRA to ROTH or something like that, increase the income and have the tax get eaten up by that credit.

0 Cheers