Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAREGIVEER TO A 95-YEAR-OLD EXPENSE

anatax2022
Level 2

WHERE CAN I PUT THE EXPENSE FOR A 95-YEAR-OLD CAREGIVER EXPENSE, I TRYED TO PUT IT UNDER THE CHILD CARE CREDIT BUT THE SYSTEM IS GIVING ME AN ERROR MESAJE 

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

On the General Information Worksheet (where you enter the taxpayer's name, address, SSN, filing status, etc.) look at the section for dependents.  There is a checkbox for "Child Disabled" (directly under the spot where you enter the amount for the Dependent Care Credit).

View solution in original post

9 Comments 9
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Don't know why you would try to put an expense under child care as that is for a child under 14 years old. Your question leaves out too many details to give you an answer. I can only assume you are talking about your client that is in the business of health care. does your client have W2 or 1099NEC. Need a lot more details

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

What exactly is the error message?

@Terry53029  That credit is also for caring for disabled people over age 12.

anatax2022
Level 2

thanks for reaching out. well, my client has a dependent mother 95 years old, she paid someone for the care of her mom. I thought we can use the childcare expense for adults with disabilities to claim the credit for the expense.  thank you. I know I can also use the Itemized form for deductions, but I needed clarification.

0 Cheers
anatax2022
Level 2

error message is in pink color, is asking if the person is disable? I don't know where to answer the question.

0 Cheers
lynnfield
Level 2

I get the impression the expense is not for a person in the healthcare business, but a Taxpayer that is paying for the care of a 95 year old person. If this is the case and (a) if the relative qualifies as a dependent, and (b) the expense is qualified long-term care, I would list it at line 6 in the Schedule A medical expense worksheet. 

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

On the General Information Worksheet (where you enter the taxpayer's name, address, SSN, filing status, etc.) look at the section for dependents.  There is a checkbox for "Child Disabled" (directly under the spot where you enter the amount for the Dependent Care Credit).

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

So long as it allows them to work, I also believe you could use it as a credit for dependent care. Its been a minute since I last did one. Otherwise its a Schedule A medical expense. 

anatax2022
Level 2

Thank you for replying to my question.

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

@TaxGuyBill REALLY