Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bonus depreciation and date placed in service

mickey
Level 4

Hello

A client is purchasing medical equipment for his medical center.  The equipment will most likely be delivered in Nov or Dec of  2023.  

When the equipment arrives at his office, would that qualify him for bonus depreciation?

My client met condition #1, #2 and #4.  What I'm not clear about is the mention of "placed in service by the taxpayer within a specified time period".  Does anyone know what the exact rule is?

A1: The depreciable property must meet four requirements to be qualified property. These requirements are (1) the depreciable property must be of a specified type; (2) the original use of the property must commence with the taxpayer or used depreciable property must meet the requirements of section 168(k)(2)(E)(ii); (3) the depreciable property must be placed in service by the taxpayer within a specified time period or must be planted or grafted by the taxpayer before a specified date; and (4) the depreciable property must be acquired by the taxpayer after September 27, 2017.  For additional information about these requirements see Proposed Treas. Reg. § 1.168(k)-2(b)) and the About Form 4562 webpage.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

Is this medical center already open for business?

If not, when will it be?

Delivery does not necessarily mean placed in service. It has to be in a state of readiness  So if it needs to be installed....

What is your concern about placed in service?

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
sjrcpa
Level 15

Is this medical center already open for business?

If not, when will it be?

Delivery does not necessarily mean placed in service. It has to be in a state of readiness  So if it needs to be installed....

What is your concern about placed in service?

Ex-AllStar
mickey
Level 4

He wants to take bonus depreciation asap as he'll have quite a bit of income this year.  The equipment is for his new surgery center.  I'll need to find out when he projects to have the equipment in the state of readiness.  If he can use it in the existing center first it could work.

0 Cheers