Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1095-A and the IRS Letter12c

chasetax
Level 7

had a client who did not disclose he had insurance thru the exchange(1095-A). tax refund is being held.he finally managed to receive his 1095-A, provider said he didn't need it anyway. IRS sent him letter 12c requesting 1095-A. of course he can't find the letter. any one have an idea where to mail the 1095-A. this is why I pdf a copy to IRS when filing the return.  have googled and searched IRS.gov

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

10 Comments 10
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I havent had any this year, but last year it looked like we mailed back the 8962 and 1095A to the same service center the return was filed at, so it depends on where you are....there was a fax number too, but Im sure that goes along with the filing center.

EDIT: Actually it got mailed back to the same address that CP2000 notices here in CA get mailed back to, so it wasnt the filing service center.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
chasetax
Level 7

thank you, will see what I can find

0 Cheers
dad751
Level 3

I just finished the 1095-A and the 8962. The address I have is:

Internal Revenue Service

OSC

Ogden, UT [social security number removed]

I

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The ones I had last year went to Fresno CA, so it depends on your location.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
dad751
Level 3

The zip code is 84201   0034

Fax # 855  309-9361

0 Cheers
chasetax
Level 7

thank you very very much. some clients are more trouble than they are worth!

0 Cheers
dad751
Level 3

Amen to that. By the way do you charge them for doing this? Am I too nice not to charge them?

0 Cheers
chasetax
Level 7

I should but 60% of them get caught paying back the credit, so I feel sorry for them.  I have a client who disclosed the Form 1095-A, I prepared the 8962 and he owes $7K+.  I also have a medical secretary who sent her 2018 w-2 to someone for the insurance for 2019 and she only owes $2,600 this year. My understanding of this is that if your income is over $41,000, you don't get the premium credit.  I think either clients or the 'facilitators' for Obama care do not understand how it all works.

0 Cheers
dad751
Level 3

Actually my client is HOH and her income is around $24,000. After doing the 8962 she is getting back $714 more. I told her to either expect more or less than her original refund. I love it when they call me and say they got more of a refund. Then maybe next year they won't "forget" it next time.  But sadly they will. It's usually the same people who can't seem to bring everything to an appointment.    

qbteachmt
Level 15

"he finally managed to receive his 1095-A, provider said he didn't need it anyway."

No one takes their own responsibility in hand...They should log into their marketplace account and pull their forms there.

How to find your 1095-A online
  1. Log into your HealthCare.gov account.
  2. Under "Your Existing Applications," select your 2019 application — not your 2020 application.
  3. Select “Tax Forms” from the menu on the left.
  4. Download all 1095-As shown on the screen.

"My understanding of this is that if your income is over $41,000, you don't get the premium credit."

It's based on 401% of the Poverty level for the filing year and for your client's filing status, and it isn't AGI or MAGI from the 1040; it's a different or "medical and health" AGI from the worksheet for PTC.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.