Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RDP Filing

parvitstax
Level 5

I have an RDP that will be filing jointly in CA but one person has to file single and the other will file HOH for federal. Does ProSeries have a simpler way of creating this return? 

So far I have created individual Federal returns for the clients and divided the Community Property as well as their non-community property. I have filled out form 8958 exactly the same for both partners. 

My issue is in CA state filing. How do I combine their incomes? ProSeries will not let me add/edit the AGI listed in state because it pulls directly from the federal return (only half the partnerships AGI). 

Should I create a 3rd return including all income from both sides where the RDP is MFJ but only file the state return?

I feel I may have gone about creating this RDP return the wrong way. Is there a more efficient way to generate these returns? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Unless they lived apart for the last 6 months of the year, HOH wouldn't apply, right?   

Im in CA, but I dont have any of these RDPs.they seem like a PITA to prepare.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

ProSeries has a feature for splitting an MFJ return into two MFS returns.  I haven't used it yet, but will have to do it soon for a superseding return to claim unemployment exclusion.  I would have done the joint return first, saved the California part and then split the federal into two MFS returns.  Then change the filing status to Single or HoH.  (How do you figure out who paid more than half the household costs, if it all comes from community income?)  

In other words, do the joint state return first, then work from the joint federal to split into two.  Maybe do the 8958 before the split?  It's more work than most returns, so a higher fee than most returns.  Lamborghini mechanics complain when all their work involves Volkswagens.