Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAID Device: USB vs eSATA vs SATA; LAN Speed/Latency

octg-john
Level 1

ProSeries is not compatible with NAS devices.

So I'm trying to figure out if there would be a noticeable lag/latency opening/closing files if I connect a RAID device via eSATA/USB.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
dascpa
Level 11

Proseries data, like QuickBooks data cannot sit in Dropbox or similar since it is an open database file. 

I have use RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Disks) on my computer for years as another method of backup (if one hard drive goes bad the other one is available and up to date) and I've let the computer experts set it up.  Never had to use it so I "assume" it works. 

My suggestion is to open the file from the main hard drive and only use backup in case of need.  But, yes you can put a client file on a USB drive and operate from there with no speed differential - obviously USB 3.0 is faster than 2.0 and faster than 1.0.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

It's not so much that NAS doesn't work; it's that you cannot use it as NAS, which sort of defeats the purpose for having NAS. NAS has no OS, with the concept that it is easily shared. But these Intuit databases are managed by their UI and must be managed by something that has an OS, because the OS runs the program (QB, ProSeries, whatever). This is a Network function, not a NAS function.

NAS is like a group of people that don't need supervision and still willingly and freely share.

Networking is like a group of people you are not allowed to wander in and interact with directly; you have to go through their Supervisor first.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
octg-john
Level 1

In your experience USB 3 has the same (~4 second?) latency as a SATA connection when opening & saving files?

0 Cheers