Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProSeries Workstation install fails-Windows Write Protect Error

LJHCPA
Level 4

I had an SSD fail in my workstation computer and that failure caused a series of Windows errors that were only resolved by removing the failed SSD, reinstalling Windows 10, reformatting the system drive (two Samsung 850 Pro SSD's in Raid 0). It took three attempts at reinstalling Windows to get the errors to go away--what a pain! Now to my ProSeries problem:

I am attempting to reinstall my last 3 years ProSeries programs, but when I run the Workstation install I get an error that says the media is write protected. I've tried all the so-called solutions found on the web from running Diskpart, editing the registry, clearing the read only check box on File Manager properties for each folder, enabled all users for Full Control in the drive or folder's Security tab, and none of them work. When I try listing the details of my C: drive from Diskpart it says it is not write protected, but I still can't install ProSeries. I suspect it is the new install of Windows 10 that is causing the problem. I've had this happen before and don't recall what I did to clear it, but it's back.

I'm the only user on this PC and am the Administrator. Even if I right-click on the Workstation Setup program and "Run as Administrator" it still doesn't work. ProSeries may be telling me it is the Server drive that is write only, but if it is, it's my local PC that's causing that as other PC's in my workgroup can read and write to the mapped server drives.

Does anyone know how to clear the Microsuck Read-Only Cluster fluff error?

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LJHCPA
Level 4

As often happens when I post a problem here, I start to do more research and usually find the solution to my problem. Such is the case with this problem.

As I thought about the issue more, I went to the server and ran Diskpart locally on the server. I checked the attributes for the drive where the ProSeries Workstation files are located. It said the drive was not write protected, but I ran the clear readonly attributes anyway, and voila! Now the workstation install works!

I don't understand why the write protection was applied on this server drive only. I bet Microsuck doesn't know either, but at least I can run my Proseries programs now.

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
LJHCPA
Level 4

As often happens when I post a problem here, I start to do more research and usually find the solution to my problem. Such is the case with this problem.

As I thought about the issue more, I went to the server and ran Diskpart locally on the server. I checked the attributes for the drive where the ProSeries Workstation files are located. It said the drive was not write protected, but I ran the clear readonly attributes anyway, and voila! Now the workstation install works!

I don't understand why the write protection was applied on this server drive only. I bet Microsuck doesn't know either, but at least I can run my Proseries programs now.

webguys911
Employee
Employee

Glad you got it working! I was going to suggest the following below:

Corrupted system files can also cause "the media is write-protected". If this is the case, you can try running the System File Checker (SFC) scan and Deployment Image & Servicing Management (DISM) scan. The SFC checks and fixes corrupted system files while the DISM scan will repair the Windows image

0 Cheers