Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProSeries Network Client Server deployment - where is common folder stored?

jtsjoz
Level 2

Background -  

Previous years we used the network peer-to-peer setup with the admin computer being Windows 10 machine. 

Problem: Too many tax preparers working at one would hit Windows Pro max connection limits.

This year I want to deploy the client-server method with a Windows 2016/2019 Server as the file server..

The instructions under: How to download and install ProSeries Professional as a network (intuit.com)

for "if your on a client-server networks:" 

Part 1: setup a network share and map that share as "P:" to every workstation and admin computer.

After that the "P:" or the file server is not mentioned anywhere in Part 2, or 3 - 

I see you can just change the directories under File > Directory . 

But that would be seem like each workstation is still installing off the admin workstation and not the file server, and the clients would still be connecting to the common folder on the admin Windows 10 workstation.. 

If all the workstations still have to connect to the file share for common on the Windows 10 box, we could still run into the same connection limits issue.

Could someone advise on how they are using the network client-server setup, are you mapping any additional folder.

Is there better instructions on this?

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

You’re probably best off having support walk you through setup. I tried it a few years ago and it was straightforward but i was more comfortable with a tech helping.

if you’re planning on using a VPN, test first. It works but saving was very slow. Intuit doesn’t support use through a VPN.

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
jtsjoz
Level 2

Problem is that support seems to be a bunch of Proseries customers that are doing support for a discount on Proseries. 

We deployed a 2019 server standard for file server , on a Windows Active Directory Domain, PIV Card Cert Authentication, Server had 4x SSD in raid 10. Worked awesome this year. We had around 6-8 preparers, i'm sure it could handle a ton more. No more Windows 10 pro connection limits. 

0 Cheers