Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proseries is transferring dependents marked as deceased in the prior year.

JCaldwell01
Level 2

I called in about this last tax season. It has not been fixed yet. So this is just an FYI post. I really hope they fix this soon.

11 Comments 11
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@Intuitjhaze   @IntuitLisaI   this was a complaint in prior years, but looks like it never made it to the punchlist to be fixed.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Camp1040
Level 10

But why waste your time calling, delete the deceased dependent from the federal information worksheet!

JCaldwell01
Level 2

Why bother wasting time to reply to this when you could have just kept scrolling and went on with your day? Should I just passively accept that the software I pay thousands of dollars for every year is losing functionality? No thanks. Have a good day.

Camp1040
Level 10

Some things you just don't want to trust software to do the job!

JCaldwell01
Level 2

Although I agree with you on that point. I still feel like it's not a big ask on my part to ask them to fix the functionality. We had a client last year burst into tears when we were reviewing her return with her because she lost 2 of her 6 children in a house fire the previous year. When preparing her current year she said there was no change to her dependents. We obviously caught it during the review process, but the entire situation was awkward for all involved. I have been using this software for 15 years now. We never had this problem in the past. It's not a big ask that the software function like it's supposed to.  

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

It does it with deceased spouses, doesn't seem like too much to ask for it to work the same with deceased dependents as well.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Intuitjhaze
Intuit Alumni

@Just-Lisa-Now- thanks for the tag on this. 

@JCaldwell01 let me look into this internally and i'll reach back out if/when there is any movement here. stay tuned!

Intuitjhaze
Intuit Alumni

hey @JCaldwell01 taking this to private message to gather a few more details. Please be on the lookout for a notification in your inbox!

Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

@Intuitjhaze  there's not a whole lot to detail.........  on the dependent worksheet there's a field to enter date of death.  When DOD is entered the software should delete the dependent from ensuing year when the client is transferred..........      

just like it does with a deceased spouse..........  and when 1099R is marked total distribution or do not transfer,  W2 etc.

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
IRonMaN
Level 15

But my fear with that enhancement is that the deceased dependents are going to disappear the following year but some of the living ones are going to disappear too.😅

Slava Ukraini!
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

@IRonMaN It's the yin & yang of software development.......... for every enhancement there must be a correlating dehancement.  

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround