Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProSeries is not applying a realtor's rental passive loss against the Schedule C - how to override or manage?

EDauerman
Level 3

Problem:  real estate passive loss is not carrying against the Schedule C gains for a real estate professional.  How do I override this.  I picked materially participates and actively manages on the rental property.

Facts:

Realtor has a Schedule C with income. Realtor has a separate rental property with a loss.

Normally, if you are an active participant in your rental property, you can deduct as much as $25,000 in rental real estate losses, but this phases out at $150K. However, if you meet all the requirements as a real estate professional there is no income limit.  How do I override the income limit/ and carry the loss against the schedule C income?

Realtor meets the requirements:

- Separate books and records are maintained to reflect income and expenses for this Enterprise.

- 250 or more hours of rental services were performed with respect to this Enterprise

- Contemporaneous records have been kept to document the rental services performed

- No property was used as a residence for any part of the year as defined in Section 280A(d)

- No property was rented or leased under a triple net lease

- No property was rented to a commonly controlled business as defined by Reg. 1.199A-4(b)(1)(i)

Therefore, the taxpayer qualifies as a real estate professional passive activity loss rules do not apply and losses from rental real estate activities should be deductible against other nonpassive income such as wages or Schedule C income. 

Any advice.

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
abctax55
Level 15

Being a real estate pro just means the rental loss(es) are not limited.  

The losses don't directly offset Sch C income to reduce SE tax (if that's what you are really asking...).

They do act to reduce overall taxable income tho - are you saying that PS is not doing that?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
EDauerman
Level 3

thanks for responding..

I don’t see it reducing the overall taxes based on the schedules .. and I think it’s limiting it due to the high income incorrectly?

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Is the rental loss actually showing on Sch E & then carrying to the F 1040 eventually, reducing AGI?

You can't just look at the *tax*.

And I don't speak PS/I use Lacerte so I can't troubleshoot PS for you.

( Generic Comment )"
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

On the Info page (where you enter the taxpayer's name, address, filing status, etc.), scroll WAY down. 

One of those check-boxes near the middle-to-bottom of that page is for a Real Estate Professional, and you need to check that box.

abctax55
Level 15

(Thanks Bill....)

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
EDauerman
Level 3

Thanks everyone !! It works.

0 Cheers
nolanm
Level 4

Thank for posting this TaxGuyBill. Saved me a lot of hassle with a real-estate pro.

Nolan

0 Cheers